Cats (the furry kind) and tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ghpr1957

AC Members
Sep 28, 2011
Fairdale, KY
Zari, you have a beautiful girl there!

Ghpr1957...I love the idea of that!! Perhaps one would keep them out of the garden window and away from my houseplants!!!

One of my kitties has also fallen in my tank during a cleaning. I had stepped out of the room and heard my husband yell. Walk in to see him dragging poor Chucky out of the tank soaking wet. It's a 125g so there was enough water still in it that his feet didn't touch bottom. He tried to swim..lol
mykidsmylife,
I got a laugh out of your story about Chucky! Gladly he was OK.
I have to tell you that I have used the air cans so successfully with my 3 cats (Simba age 17, Nettie age 4, Tiger age 3) that allot of times all I have to do is make a "Pssst!" sound myself, and off they go. All except Simba. Simba has been my buddy and King of the house since his birth, but he has never done anything wrong...never gotten on tables, counters, gone outside, nothing...Now the other two...well, I bought 5 cans of SSSCat one time and had one of them up on the very top of our kitchen cabinets, one on the floor by both our front and back door, and one on my desk. Those are all gone now, and I just occasionally put one out if I start to have a problem with Nettie or Tiger, like lately, they both love watching the birds outside our kitchen, but have decided that rather than sit on our table bench, they need to be up on our kitchen table...One can of SSSCat and after about a week no more jumping on the table.

Oh, gee, I'm turning this into a cat forum...sorry...I just love all animals!
Ghpr1957:)

seandelevan

AC Members
Oct 6, 2007
I use to find it annoying. My cat is now too old for such shenanigans but one time he was on top of my 48" coralife light fixture and his weight, about 20lbs, snapped one of the leg mounts causing half of the fixture going into the tank destroying it. Don't know how the cat or fish didn't getted electrocuted and or blow up or start a fire.

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
We had a cat when I had my 75g. And he'd lay on top of it once in a while. But I never saw him drink from it.
But one day while sitting there(prob watching nascar) re-filling the tank during my weekly cleaning. I had the top open, and he jumped up and just caught the cross member with his front feet, while the rest of him went in the tank. He was going all the way onto his back about the time I grabbed him.
I could imagine the chaos of a cat Inside the tank, under water, and under the other glass lid that was closed. If I hadn't have been there to get him as quick as I did.

MickRC

AC Members
Dec 22, 2010
Nebraska
If you're going to let your cat drink from your tank or fall in from time to time - keep him/her away from your tanks for a while after you've dosed the cast with meds. External meds especially, but even after pills the cat could really mess up your tank.

Not a problem for me - my cat only drinks running water and at 17 she won't change her ways.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
My cat doesn't try to get into the tank but loves to just sit in my livingroom recliner chair or couch and just watches them swim that room is my primary fish room. He doesn't have a desire to drink from the tank but I also agree if you are putting dechlorinator into the water you are using for water changes for the tank not sure it can be good for the cat to be drinking tank water also think about fish disease as well and your cat possibly getting sick. I also have hood covers on all tanks so this keeps him from getting into them but as far as the fish are concerned he just enjoys watching them swim especially when I put the hood lights on.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Little late to the party, but I wanna blab a little. My cats all react to war differently. Skipper can't get within 5ft of anything that involves water except her bowl; Midnight doesn't care either way, so long as he stays dry; and Haily isn't scared of anything (despite being the smallest of them). None of them are dumb enough to try drinking from my 75, they wouldn't be able to stay on the rim.

VickiesZoo

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
NW IN
Real Name
Vickie
I'm behind catching up on posts. LOL I have one cat that loves to lay on the tanks and drink the water. Never touches the fish, just watches. He is fat and happy. My other cat loves watching the rams on "the ground floor" of the tank shelf. The only funny is that the fat cat jumped onto the top shelf 55g when the lid was open. He didn't appreciate the wet paws and told me about it.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store