Caught in the act - Bolivian rams spawned

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Was that a typo or did you really have the pH at 7.8? I've always thought that they prefered slightly acidic water than slightly basic

Richard McC

AC Members
Jan 27, 2007
Canberra Australia
Was that a typo or did you really have the pH at 7.8? I've always thought that they prefered slightly acidic water than slightly basic
No typo. Our tapwater is soft but very alkaline (usually 7.8-8.1). I've tried to acidify it but this has led to fluctuations in the past, and the general advice from the experts has been that steadiness is the important thing. That said, I do acidify the change water for 10% changes, otherwise I'd be over 8.0 probably.

Richard McC

AC Members
Jan 27, 2007
Canberra Australia
Less than 24 hours after spawning, mother has chased father from the nest. Not in line with the literature, but I daresay that she hasn't read it.

I worry for father's psychological health. Will he have Post Traumatic Spawning Disorder? Should I arrange for counselling?

Richard McC

AC Members
Jan 27, 2007
Canberra Australia
48 hours after the blessed event, mother is still guarding her eggy treasure. She allows other fish to within an inch or so, then chases them away with a nip for their trouble. Two small festivum are treated with less tolerance, but father is not permitted within a foot.

I wonder if she didn't catch him snacking on some eggs. There are fewer than before.......

divingne1

AC Members
Jun 15, 2007
Canton, GA
48 hours after the blessed event, mother is still guarding her eggy treasure. She allows other fish to within an inch or so, then chases them away with a nip for their trouble. Two small festivum are treated with less tolerance, but father is not permitted within a foot.

I wonder if she didn't catch him snacking on some eggs. There are fewer than before.......
Or maybe he was checking out another woman looking like this :drool:

Richard McC

AC Members
Jan 27, 2007
Canberra Australia
Hatching now

And they are hatching at this minute!

Something that I've never realized before; the eggs don't hatch by themselves, like chickens.

Mother has decided that it's time, so she picks up a number of eggs in her mouth, chews a bit (gently, I hope) and spits the wrigglers into a nearby shallow pit. I guess she recycles the shells.

Father is still not permitted nearby.

gmh asks ' How do you acidify your change water?'. I just add some Seachem acid buffer and some alkali buffer to bring the change water down to neutral or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store