Caution! Extremely Opinionated Posting!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
I like many different kinds of decorated aquariums. I want to have "natural" aquariums with different scapes and "unnatural" aquariums with colorful gravel and decor. And I'm working on making a Lost themed tank with the 4 toed statue, Black Rock, etc. As long as the fish and owner is happy, does it matter how the aquarium is decorated?

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
i like plastic plants and neon pink gravel !

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
DeeDeeK, thanks for starting a thought-provoking discussion. FYI, the following is in response to a couple of ideas (certainly not all) in your original post.

-----------------------

As for tank design, to each her own, I say. Some people like natural looking aquariums. Some like glitz or kitsch. Some go for pure aesthetic. If the fish are well cared for, what does it matter if they are swimming around a bubbling deep-sea diver or grazing along shiny glass marbles? (Shout out to Juice: Let me know when you figure out how to rig an ongoing underwater volcano effect. I thought I was the only one who ever had that idea!)

Frankly, I think it's a bit much to declare any particular technology, decor, etc. an "abomination" or "unethical" simply because one finds it personally distasteful. I love my sand substrate; my sister would use buttons, if she could. Again, if the fish are well cared for ... (By the way, does anyone know if regular colored plastic buttons would leach anything weird into the water? Really. Sis needs to know.)

As for the fish themselves, I'm opposed to dyeing and painting because it can't be good for the fish. And I'm none too happy with the trend toward genetically-modified fish, corn or what-have-you. That said, I also have to respect that humans have been genetically altering plants and animals the slow way, through selective breeding, since the first wolf pups were brought home to play in the cave. Or, more likely, since the first edible grains were accidentally sown nearby, and a wise old gal said something like, "Hey, those tasty grains are growing closer to the cave ... How'd that happen?"

If we are to outlaw recently developed variations such as balloon mollies, what should we do about black moors, crowntail bettas, all those colorful guppies, and so on? How far back in history would we need to go to find completely acceptable — i.e., "natural" — fish? My guess is, we'd end up with nothing but weather loaches, faintly metallic carp and little brown minnows swimming around cold-water tanks. Keep in mind too, that, without selective breeding, all hobby fish would have to be wild-caught, simply to avoid the choices that must be made with domestic stock. It's impossible to select, breed, cull and raise fish without having an affect on the outcome — the quality, color, size and nature of the fish themselves. We simply cannot have fish for pets without bending nature to our will. (I know this is taking the argument to extremes. My rant, my rules. :) )

Frankly, I'd much rather see people enjoying and properly caring for balloon mollies and even glofish than stunting and starving oscars, common plecos and clown loaches because they are ignorant as to the fishes' needs — and misled by profit-oriented manufacturers, marketing firms, chain stores, LFS, breeders, etc. Keep in mind that ACers represent a fraction of the hobby. For many people, giant tanks, fish rooms, even multiple tanks are simply not an option. If someone can only have a 10 gal aquarium, and they want to fill it with fancy, colorful fish that have been bred beyond belief, I don't have a problem with it as long as the fish fit the tank, and the tank fits the fish. On the flip side, if someone wants to keep sturgeon and can do it right, I say let them enjoy themselves. I like little fish, but the love of monsters is perfectly understandable. Yes, there are people keeping pacu and arrowana in limited and unsuitable conditions — but guppies, neons, platys, etc. also suffer unhappy lives and cruel deaths. The problem isn't the size of the fish; it's the depth of the fish keeper's knowledge and skill. Declaring that any particular type of fish should be off-limits to hobbyists because of its size, finnage, etc. is, I believe, divisive and unhelpful to any discussion intended to improve the hobby. (I admit that I was taken aback by the recent question as to the size tank needed to keep a Portuguese Man O' War. Gagaliya, my friend, that's just ... scary.)

*pause*

Okay, that's all. I'm done. Thanks, this has been fun.

P.S. My FWDSB is up and running. Happiness!

Last edited:

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I once thought about setting up a 'tacky' tank just for kicks with the intention of making it outlandishly garish as humanly possible. ;) Gotta love lasers, bubbling divers/clams and a RC submarine. Neon colored 'clown vomit' gravel would be an absolute must-have.
Not sure why, but those little diving bubblers annoy me the most.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
well i for the most part don't have a pretty tank it must be nice,.. but my tank are made to make the fish feel happy and at home,.. that is what i care about,.. so to most my tanks or just there,..lol but i feel if i had to live in there it would be nice if someone gave me what wanted,.. so that is what they get,.. , perhaps its the farmer in me but i try to make them feel they have a bit of home in there and not so artificial

of course goldies are a challange,..lol they eat everything and tear it apart just cause they are bored,..lol still working on them,..lol

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
What I read is "everyone's tank should be an individual expression of art!" and then "but that art has to adhere to X parameters".

Personally, if someone wants blue gravel and pink plants and bubbling treasure chests, whatever. I am not yet convinced that a "garish" display like that really has any effect on the quality of life of the inhabitants, as long as the biologically important stuff is taken care of. Bubble/box/sponge filters can be perfectly adequate methods of filtration, and are often employed in breeding and growout tanks, usually setups that require optimal water parameters. Many of these tanks are also set up as barebottom, so a biologically diverse substrate, while perhaps beneficial, is certainly not required, and the needs it fulfills are easily satisfied in other ways.

While I see the point you are trying to make, and in part agree with you, I don't agree that driving the point home in the name of art or aesthetics makes any sense. By its very fundamental definition, art is subjective, and thus using that to paint a broad brush stroke between what is good and what is bad just doesn't make sense.

Rather than trying to convince people to take an artistic, aesthetic, or enriching approach to fishkeeping, I would rather spend my time helping those same fishkeepers understand how to satisfy the basic needs of the organisms under care, i.e. nitrogen cycle, fundamental photosynthesis, how things like ammonia and TDS levels actually affect a fish biologically. In my experience, I have found that once a fishkeeper gains that level of understanding, the "art" of the tank as you define it, follows on its own more often than not.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Who cares what the tank looks like? Has a study been done to show that ANY of those things ACTUALLY stress fish? If someone wants neon blue gravel, lime green plants and rainbow colored plastic castles, who am I to stop them? I doubt that any of those things have a significant effect on the overall well being of the fish.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I have to say to each his own. Some fake tanks can look really nice. I have fake plants in my mbuna tank because they shred anything alive.

In college I had a really cool little 10 gallon with black and white gravel, white and black plants, a couple plastic orcas and a red betta. It looked awesome!

beachcire

AC Members
Apr 24, 2010
Tampa, FL
I am of the opinion that as long as the environment is healthy for the fish then the fish are in a winning situation. Whether it be in a natural environment for a particular species or a very unnatural environment, as long as the fish keeper is happy with their creation and maintains the integrity of the habitat, all is good.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Y'know I think that everyone has a different sense of art. Some people love Picasso and think he's an amazing artist, while others prefer the more elegant pictures of Botticelli or perhaps the works of Michelangelo. Yet others love the dramatic or exaggerated anime. It's all some sort of art, but we all like different aspects of it. Some people would call one form or another junk instead of art and think it's hideous, but somebody out there thinks it is beautiful

As long as the fish have places to hide and feel secure, why not have a pink neon castle and a glow-in-the-dark set of corals to set off your flourescent multicolor gravel? If you like it and the fish are not harmed and are secure, go for it! Perhaps everyone else would like to gouge their eyes out after seeing it, but you love it and the fish are healthy. What more could you ask for?

Yes, many people prefer the calm, natural beauty of realistic river or lake settings with real plants, naturally colored gravel or sand, and driftwood, but not everyone likes that. We really need to keep in mind the health of the fish in the design and decoration of the tank, but I really don't think they care if the decor is hideous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store