Cheap Planted Substrate for 10-15g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dtd87

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
Looking to start a fish tank again after a long time and was wondering what my options are for a cheaper planted substrate. I used to use eco complete back in the day but I don't believe I will need 20lbs of substrate.

I am willing to mix is I have too but I have 20lbs of small gravels that I would also like to incorporate into the aquascape.

As for equipment so far I have a toms aquatics canister filter.

Any input is appreciated!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
It is not the substrate that makes the plants grow, it is what's in the substrate. You can use ordinary sand as long as you add nutrients.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Ordinary gravel works well too.

I used FloraMax substrate in a 10g. Rooted plants eventually did very well in it. It is very dusty though, and easy to disturb in a small tank like a 10g.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I've used play sand from WalMart in planted tanks before. Its like a 50 lb bag for a few bucks, and as long as you dose ferts it works pretty well.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I have plain gravel in one of my tanks and the plants are doing just fine.

dtd87

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
So if I just use plain gravel do I still use root tabs or is this like dosing seachem excel and such?

dtd87

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
If you like the idea of fluorite you can look up a product called Safe T Sorb at TSC. Also Walmart has non clumping, fragrance free cat litter for $3 or $4. Both of these make great planted tank substrate.

Dennis
How does this flourite work as opposed to that seachem flourite? I have no experience with either and it seems like something you would use as a base layer and cover with gravel/sand?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Looks like fresh beat me to it. But I am still gonna say it. Ordinary gravel works well too. I have a planted 29 gallon and a 39 gallon with a few potted swords. They are all in gravel and they do just fine. I don't do any tabs or ferts so they grow slowly but they still grow.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
So if I just use plain gravel do I still use root tabs or is this like dosing seachem excel and such?
I used root tabs in the one that we planted hair grass and bacopa in, and once a month dosed with Seachem Flourish. This tank also had a DIY CO2 system and strong lighting.

My Anubias, java fern, and java moss tank got no dosed ferts and no root tabs (since these plants don't take nutrients frlm substrate).

My tank with a mix of crypts and Anubias and Java fern got a cheap brand of ferts that were disco at PMart for a penny.

All of these tanks flourished. It depends on what type of plants you want to grow, lighting, livestock and your natural water parameters on what you need to add.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store