Cheapest filter to operate for a 55 gallon aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
I'm getting ready to set up another aquarium in my house, and I'd like it to use as little power as possible.

I've been very happy with my Fluval 304 on my other tank, but I wonder if there might be a cheaper way to go in terms of power consumption.

When it comes to HOB power filters and canister filters, which uses the least amount of power, yet offers good performance.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You'll need to compare specific models against one another. 2 HOBs against one canister? Of comparable flow. Performance is basically subjective. Power consumption is objective.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
Here's what I got so far for canisters with similar flow rates:

Flluval 306: 5 Watts
Eheim 2213: 8 Watts
Marineland C-220: 20 Watts (Yikes!)
Hydor 250: 17 Watts

And HOB Power filters:

Aquaclear 70: 6 Watts
Aqueon Quietflow 50: Unable to find any information
Tetra Whisper 60: Unable to find any information
Fluval C4: 5 Watts
API Superclean 50: 4.8 Watts

That's all I could find quickly. This might be a thread worth expanding. I'm going to email some manufacturers and see if I can get power consumption details and update this thread. I think this information is useful to long term operating costs.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
IMO, HOB are cheaper then Cannisters, and Aquaclears are cheap and reliable.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
In all honesty, a filter or two really isn't going to be much over a year. And I would go for performance over power consumption anytime.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
The filter should be the least of your worries. Stick with what you have and if you are happy with it. Sounds like you are happy with the Fluval 304, so just go with the 406 on this tank. It will be hard to beat the power consumption. Need more flow? Don't need a whole new filter, just a very small powerhead to eliminate dead spots (preferably right towards the intake of the 406). The light will easily cost more money energy wise. Heater? 2nd biggest energy hog. Go fish only, and you won't need a light, but you won't be able to properly view your fish either. Go without heater, and your room temperature will dictate the choice of fish.

To save money in energy by skimping on filtration is the wrong thing to do, IMO. 5 watts on the Fluval is very low energy consumption amounting to less then 44 kWh per year. Want to save energy? Then make the 2 biggest energy hogs in your tank more efficient (lights and heater).

Check out: http://www.algone.com/the-aquarium-and-energy-consumption

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
The filter should be the least of your worries. Stick with what you have and if you are happy with it. Sounds like you are happy with the Fluval 304, so just go with the 406 on this tank. It will be hard to beat the power consumption. Need more flow? Don't need a whole new filter, just a very small powerhead to eliminate dead spots (preferably right towards the intake of the 406). The light will easily cost more money energy wise. Heater? 2nd biggest energy hog. Go fish only, and you won't need a light, but you won't be able to properly view your fish either. Go without heater, and your room temperature will dictate the choice of fish.

To save money in energy by skimping on filtration is the wrong thing to do, IMO. 5 watts on the Fluval is very low energy consumption amounting to less then 44 kWh per year. Want to save energy? Then make the 2 biggest energy hogs in your tank more efficient (lights and heater).

Check out: http://www.algone.com/the-aquarium-and-energy-consumption
The 304 is currently on my 55 gallon tank. I have another 304, but it needs some parts, so I think I will leave that in storage for now. I have 2 Aquaclear 70s, one new in box. The other has been running on the 55 gallon for about 4 months now. So it's good and primed with bacteria at this point.. I should be able to stock the tank with a half dozen fish or so right away.

The heater I had, which I thought was OK, I had to toss. It looks like it may have been left plugged in while it was not submerged or possibly just went bad. It's an old Marineland Visitherm heater. The suction cup holders were melted, and the spot where the light comes on to show you it's on won't come on and that whole area is faded white with yellowing. I plugged it in, and it got warm. But I'll be damned if I am going to trust it at this point.

I'm trying to decide what brand to get. 20 years ago, I would have grabbed an Ebo-Jager, no questions asked. But I hear the quality of their heaters has gone down since Eheim bought them.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
What you going to stock it with? And waiting for pics.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
The thing has sat empty in my living room for close to 5 years. I filled it up half way and plan to leave it like that till Wednesday to make sure it doesn't spring a leak.

It's a 44 gallon corner pentagon tank. I wanted to go African Cihlids, but I'm thinking tropical community, since it will be where everyone can enjoy it. I am really tempted to do Angelfish, however, since they're my first love when it comes to fish.

The 55 gallon in the family room I may convert to an African Cichlid tank with the new year, when funds arent't so tight.

The kids want me to do oscars. Been there, done that. Never doing that again,

I'll post some pics of the empty tank over the weekend once I get the rocks and driftwood in.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Andy, with the type of wattage HOBs, canisters or aquarium air pumps use, you'd have to have a dozen of them running continuously to notice it on your monthly power bill. These components use ~10-20watts. That's absolutely NOTHING unless you've got 20 of them running.

To me, the best bang for your buck for filtering a 55g would be a Sunsun 302 canister or two. You can get them shipped to your door with media for ~$45. For HOBs I like nothing but AquaClear. eBay sponge bubblers are simple and super effective too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store