Check out this cold marine reef tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chilly Willie

AC Members
May 19, 2009
San Diego, Ca, USA
As for the feeding I really do just use mostly dried food with a very occasional feed of blendered clams. The dried food is SF Bay plankton and also brine shrimp plus Wardley marine flake.I put them all in a blender which turns them into a powder which,when introduced into the water resembles marine snow....the jewels seem to thrive on it.
Thanks for the info. My strawberry anemone are not reproducing, so I want to increase and vary their diet by doing what you are doing, but I need a little clarification. When you say that you put the dry food in a blender, are you saying that you put it in dry, or do you add enough water to make a slurry. Wouldn't the blender blades just spin on light dry ingredients and not push them through the blades like it does with a liquid? Or maybe by "blender" you mean a coffee bean grinder or spice grinder, which does work on dry stuff (When yank says "blender" is he talking about the same machine that a kiwi calls "blender"?) Maybe you fill the blender cup so full that it really does work on dry stuff. Can you explain more about how you grind the dry food up?

Thanks.

coldmarine007

AC Members
Apr 15, 2008
New Zealand,(South Island).
ULTRAMARINE MAGAZINE ARTICLE

I've just had an article published in the UK's ULTRAMARINE magazine....on keeping a temperate marine tank...if you live in the UK check it out!....not sure whether the mag is distributed in the States though.

ULTRAMARINE opening page.jpg

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
truly top notch tank and thread

thanks for sharing it

coldmarine007

AC Members
Apr 15, 2008
New Zealand,(South Island).
Feeding the corallimorphs

Thanks for the info. My strawberry anemone are not reproducing, so I want to increase and vary their diet by doing what you are doing, but I need a little clarification. When you say that you put the dry food in a blender, are you saying that you put it in dry, or do you add enough water to make a slurry. Wouldn't the blender blades just spin on light dry ingredients and not push them through the blades like it does with a liquid? Or maybe by "blender" you mean a coffee bean grinder or spice grinder, which does work on dry stuff (When yank says "blender" is he talking about the same machine that a kiwi calls "blender"?) Maybe you fill the blender cup so full that it really does work on dry stuff. Can you explain more about how you grind the dry food up?

Thanks.
Hi chilly....sorry I missed your question...the dried food is broken-up into "dust" by the grinding attachment...takes a bit of patience though!...I just add the pinches below water and in front of the ecotech pump that blasts them around the tank....they disappear within seconds, just as the jewels would grab microscopic marine "snow" in the wild....good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store