Cherry barb breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Volenti

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
Australia
I've got a dozen cherry barbs in my 90gal community tank of which some are displaying breeding behaviour, I've read up that they spawn in vegetation like goldfish (which I'm very familier with breeding).

The main question is, are the eggs sticky? I put a clump of camboba in the tank (the plants are mainly Val, not very suitable) for them to spawn in with the idea of simply removing the clump after spawning to raise the eggs in a seperate tank. This is a lot easier and a lot less stressfull for all involved (this tank has a massive peice of branching driftwood and is not fun to catch fish out of)

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
That should work and they most likely will use it. I'm pretty sure cherry barbs do have sticky eggs. I can't remember for certain though. The only thing is that in a community tank spawning and the existence of caviar will ring a loud dinner bell for the other fish. If you really want to spawn them, they are probably better off in a species specific tank.

Volenti

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
Australia
Yea I'm not too concerned about it, it was just a matter of, if I get some eggs cool, if not oh well, if they did spawn it doesn't look like any survived the ravenous hoards of rosy barbs I have in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store