Cherry Shrimp with cheap shipping!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesrivergal

Registered Member
Feb 6, 2006
cherry shrimps

hello boviking,
could you please explain what cherry shrimp are and how to keep them? I might might consider purchasing some, if I knew how to keep them alive.
thanks, jamesrivergal

04cobratorchred

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
jamesrivergal said:
hello boviking,
could you please explain what cherry shrimp are and how to keep them? I might might consider purchasing some, if I knew how to keep them alive.
thanks, jamesrivergal

There not to hard to care for just make sure you don't put them in a tank where they are going to get ate by bigger fish. they seem to do good in a tank with lots of Java Moss. they say shrimp should get 1/4gallon so in a 10gallon tank you could have about 40 or so.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
jamesrivergal said:
hello boviking,
thanks, jamesrivergal
Hello james, they aren't hard to care for at all if you follow good aquaria practices. 04 is correct, they only get to be 3/4-1 inch in length and larger fish will consider them food. Even smaller fish will consider the young food. That isn't to say you can't keep them if you have fish. These shrimp are very quick and as long as you have lots of hiding places, chances are in the shrimps favor for survival. Introducing them into a tank with fish at night (when the tank is dark) obviously is a better option than dumping them in like it's feeding time.
As for conditions, they can survive temps (so I've heard) down to 40 and up to ~95 degrees F (I had a heater malfunction and cooked 1/2 a tank at 98F!). My observation (and at least one other keeper) is that temps over 80 tend to result in a higher production of male shrimp. Generally, 72-76F is considered "good".
pH- 6.5-8.5, if your water is "soft", you may consider adding a form of calcium for their shell.
Live plants are great but not necessary. They eat some forms of algae but also take fish food, veggies, algae wafers, cooked shrimp/fish, brine shrimp, blood worms, the list goes on...
I included a few links earlier in the thread for additional info too.
HTH

beviking - Bill :)

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Well, a couple people haven't returned my messages and I have more than I thought I had anyway. If you wanted some and didn't receive a message, please contact me again (though I'm pretty sure I contacted everyone).

Thank you,
Bill

Raskolnikov

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
I recieved my shrimp today; all of them showed up lively and are currently exploring their new digs. This is a great deal on some excellent livestock.
:thm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store