"Chilly"-Very injured betta >:I

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
Bad news :(
He began slowing down last night, I'm guessing he passed earlier this morning. The only good that can come from this is he didn't have another betta picking at him while he died.

This was so preventable it's ridiculous.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
I'm sorry... At least you gave him a great quality of life while he was with you. I'm sure it was worth the dollar for him to have a dignified death.

Someone on here should start some kind of betta fish rescue. Everyone could donate, and people could save fish who would otherwise be thrown away!

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
I have really thought of doing something like that, if I ever get my pit bull sanctuary I would like to also take in cold water fish and bettas. It's an uphill battle with no end to try to save them, both dogs and fish, but at least I'd be pulling my weight in this world by helping some innocents.

I think an infection had gotten inside of his body, since there were open wounds on his chest area and on some parts near his dorsal and tail.

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
To add insult to injury, my other boy just died from the same thing. Apparently my young family member moved a plant from Chilly's tank into Zig's without washing it, so I had to stay up and watch Zig die last night.
He had been hiding out for a few days so I did not catch it soon enough :(

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
I'm so sorry! This brought tears to my eyes. But at least both bettas had peaceful lives at the end. You did a good thing!

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
Thank you. WE all miss Zig, but he was an old man, he had to go sometime.
We are going to reputable LFS to pick out a new guy after his tank has been sanitized.

kjr928

Go fish yourself.
Report the fish store to the ASPCA. When they send agents over to investigate, you will be amazed at how quick the fish store will change their poor betta keeping habits. Do it for the betta's sake.

And get your dollar back while you're at it.

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
OMG! I was so excited and happy for you at the beginning of this thread! Poor guys! You'll just have to pick up and save a couple more! You gave the a good life, and I am sure they were more comfortable in your care than where they were before. Take the knowledge you have from this and keep going!! POOR THINGS! :( Both looked pretty (even the beat up poor guy!)

Lady Ns

Critter Crazy
Sep 27, 2007
Australia
Real Name
Phae
That is so depressing to me. Sorry about them boys, they were/would've been beautiful fish.

It is atrocious (spelling?) at how LFS's will treat bettas. Yes, they're small, but look at it this way, would you rather spend your entire life in a messy cupboard or a proper house with a yard? Seriously, it's pathetic, considering you can get small tanks for bettas that are bigger than cups...

*crawls into a dark corner to grumble*

P.S. I just needed to add this on.
One time I went into one of the LFS's here & I was looking for female bettas, so I went straight to the normal tank they have them in & found NINE!!! male Plakats in the tank with a male Veiltail that was turned into a Crowntail.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store