Chinese Algae Eater.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

smaug67

Perspective
Aug 5, 2007
gettysburg Pa
Ive kept them for about 5 yrs off and on.My oldes one is only about 6" but I think he got stunted somehow.As for aggression,I dont see it.They arent any worse then the sae I keep him with.He is still an algae eater as well.

Anita B

AC Members
Mar 16, 2010
I have 2 that I've had for six months. They ignore the other fish and the other fish ignore them. They are pretty fun to watch - when they are out, they hide a lot. They must not grow very quickly as mine are still about 2" long. I see them eating algae off the rocks but they don't clean the tank as effectively as when I first got them so I just added a couple snails for that job. I guess we'll see if they get mean, so far so good!

maddie

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Chch, NZ
you have had two for 6 months and they are still that tiny? wow my new baby one grew about an inch in 3 weeks. what are you feeding them? I must admit all my fish get a rather extensive choice of foods and and pretty well fed, hence why my fish tend to grow fast and the CAE's don't really eat the algae any more. the baby one is getting fed solely on bloodworm's as he is in a tank with puffers and thats all they eat oh he gets the occasional algae wafer thing but had heaps of algae to munch on and in my other tank my CAE who was about 1inch when i got him and is now around 4inchs eats algae wafers, flakes, and bloodworms.. none of my CAE's have ever been aggressive towards other fish they tend to hang out with them, like the one with the puffers he thinks hes a puffer and has taken on their temperament and inquistive attitudes its pretty funny, i think they are cool fish!

Anita B

AC Members
Mar 16, 2010
Glad to hear of someone else with good experience. They get flake food, goldfish pellets, and algae discs (sp?). The goldfish fight over the algae discs and the CAEs ignore them. So I can only assume they live off the algae on the decorations (which they are always picking at) and the flake food that falls to the bottom. I've wondered if they are something else? but Petco sold them to my sister as CAEs and they look like the pics I've seen on the web...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store