Chinese Pre-Filter review.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rev_Jim_Jones

AC Members
May 15, 2011
South Jersey
Real Name
Mat
Well here goes, my Package showed up today from Hong Kong.
Inside was this and a set of Extra Valves in 1/2 inch Size.
DSCN0442.JPGDSCN0441.JPG
as I am not using it as a pre-filter but as a Post filter for Polishing Pads. All in All it went together rather Quickly, after lubing all the O-Rings Adding some Tubing and some Floss I hooked it up.......
Oh NOES it leaks, ok Take it apart.Come to find out that the Valve attaching thingies are not cranked in as tight as they could be. So I take it apart, gently tighten them put it back together and hook it back up. lo and behold no more leaks. I would Caution not to try and over tighten and using silicone lube on the o-rings probably saved me plenty of headaches as the Main O-ring on the cap seams a bit overly large and I had to be careful as I worked it into the canister. but the Lid is a 2 piece design so I am not overly worried. at 2.3L Capacity I am debating what else I can use this for.
DSCN0446.JPG This is it sitting in front of the 2217 it is hooked up too for a size comparison.

Overall I am satisfied with this purchase even with the long wait for shipment from HK.

DSCN0442.JPG DSCN0441.JPG DSCN0446.JPG

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Nice!

Let us know how it works out. It's amazing how reasonable some of the mail-order filtration products are. I've seen nice looking canister filters on fleaBAY for $60-70. Unknown quality I know, but for aquarium nut experimental purposes? PRICELESS!

Joel

Rev_Jim_Jones

AC Members
May 15, 2011
South Jersey
Real Name
Mat
It seems pretty solid, not to cheaply made it has some molding flash on the various parts. I won't order Electrical equip even if I have a current convertor floating around here from my time in Kuwait. But for the Purpose I bought it for,Supplementry filtration and a place to maybe stick Purigen and what not, without having to break open the main canister it seems perfectly acceptable so far.

Rev_Jim_Jones

AC Members
May 15, 2011
South Jersey
Real Name
Mat
Day Three: O-Ring on Lower Quick Release has Developed a Leak. I tore it down and the O-ring has a pretty serious Nick in it. Test on hold until I can get new O-rings for both Quick Release attachments. OTher than the slow leak and the fact it only has a Single Screen for the bottom I like it so far.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Atleast it's an easy fix Jim. Lowes, auto parts store or the like for a new O-ring. Maybe a little plumber's grease too?

Joel

thebisonman

AC Members
Oct 10, 2006
I have been doing well with some vintage style aquarium things from ebay. I hope the best for you with this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store