Chronic fin rot in betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
have you ever noticed this betta biting his own tail? sometimes male bettas get into this bad habit. the reason i wonder is because the rot is primarily on the tail fin.

from what i can see on the photos, a med is not necessary. your 50% changes per day might not be enough to keep away the bacteria that causes the fin rot. i would go for 100% if it doesn't stress lil mr betta too much. as well, you mention a new filter, so large volume water changes are necessary to keep ammonia and nitrite levels at zero as the good bacteria gets established in the new filter media.

the red dots on the fin are a concern, and this is the bacteria working away at the fin. new fin growth should show up either white (on a coloured betta) or translucent on a white betta.

if this was my fish i would remove the substrate to make keeping the tank clean an easier task, as waste can be trapped between the rocks. most of my betta tanks were bare bottom all the time, and i just used plants with weighted bases or suction cups to keep them in place and upright.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
:iagree: Clear of any substrate and minimal decor, as BettaFishMommy recommended. Also, huge water changes every day. I read that Betta breeders in the orient do 100% water changes every day, and in his case I agree that thiis would be the best course. Fin rot is very much impacted by any ammonia in the water..

Without a cycled tank the ammonia will build up in the water every day.
Pristine water is the biggest thing you can do for him right now, to give his immune system a chance to beat this.

lime_smash

AC Members
May 22, 2009
Missouri
I forgot to mention with the new filter I kept the old filter pad in with the new to lessen the impact. I will remove the substrate and start doing 100% water changes. Thanks for all the help, hopefully he will pull through.

lime_smash

AC Members
May 22, 2009
Missouri
Just wanted to say thanks for those who helped me. My little betta has finally shed his red spots and has started to regrow some tissue. I'll keep up the daily water changes and see how he progresses, but it looks like he's on the road to recovery.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
that is great to hear! sometimes all you need is uber clean water and a watchful eye.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Awesome... great job. So glad your little betta is feeling better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store