Cichlid diet preference

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WarTank

AC Members
Aug 22, 2020
Real Name
Aldrein Tan
My aulonocara seems to spit out the cichlid pellets fed to him..oth, gobble up the boiled rice, millet and also flaxseed that I put in. Is there anything wrong with him?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm not sure since I haven't kept lake Africans (ok, 1 or 2), but don't they mostly need a plant based diet? I would look for a more balanced diet than what you're offering with rice, etc. Sometimes cichlid pellets are more for CA & SA cichlids & higher in protein, lower in plant material than Africans need. Not all cichlids are the same...Read the food label.

Reactions: Rbishop and WarTank

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
What brand cichlid pellets are you feeding? I don't recommend your current choice of foods as they don't provided the necessary nutrients.

How long have you had the Aulonocara cichlid? If a recent purchase locally, ask the store, vendor or person you bought it from what they were feeding it.

I use New Life Spectrum cichlid pellets in various sizes for all my cichlids and they eat they just fine.

WarTank

AC Members
Aug 22, 2020
Real Name
Aldrein Tan
It's OK. Just a phase he's going through. Eating normally now. Thanks for all the advices

Reactions: dudley

bobr75100

Registered Member
Nov 10, 2022
is your fish not active,,,he might be off his feed because of bacterial infection? also look for the white poop. not a good sign. good luck

Hobbyist 4 Life

AC Members
Nov 21, 2022
Aulonocara species require meat based diet. I don't think anyone else provided this information. Are the pellets meat based? Why would he eat rice? They also spit the food out to chew it back up a bit easier. It's not a problem as far as I can tell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store