Cichlid Identification Please.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DBray6

AC Members
Dec 2, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL USA
Hello all,
I got this little guy out of the baby African tank at my LFS. The owner stated that he won't ID babies. I also picked up a couple of yellow rams to start off my new (cycled) cichlid tank. Can anyone please help with an ID on this one.

Thanks

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Judging by the two dorsal fins present, it's a rainbowfish. But that is indeed a rainbowfish to me. Any pics of it coloring up better?

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Hi!
I totally agree with Lupin. In addition, it's body shape and anal fin are those of a rainbowfish. So, I don't think it is a cichlid.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
what's a yellow ram? do you have a picture? are you trying to do an African cichlid tank or a South American one?

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Heh I came in to move this to Cichlids...but not necessary :D

Its a rainbowfish...I often see these in hard water cichlid tanks at LFS over here where they are frequently sold as dithers.

I would return him...because it seems you paid for an african cichlid which I presume is more expensive.

I'm just giggling a little to myself at the guy saying 'I don't ID babies'...or fish apparently :D (trying not to be cruel - I'm sure he's a good guy).

Lets see some pics as you get going...I love a new African tank.

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
they look like young australian rainbowfish to me but its hard to say since they dont color up until they are adults. africans will kill these peaceful fish so dont mix them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store