Cichlid suggestion for my barb tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
Yes. They really love the blood worms. I'm going to have to stock up.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Yep, Bolivian Rams . Look cute. Good luck.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
thanks. looks like they will be getting more blood worms from now on.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
I didn't know that Rams don't like flakes. Picky little guys. Any suggestions other than frozen blood worms? They like the shrimp pellets, so I'm going to go shopping on lunch today to see if I can find something else they will eat.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Rams will eat flakes, may take some time. Try frozen glass worms, F/D mosquito larva, brine shrimp (live if you can find some), daphnia, F/D Tubiflex, ect.

Dustin86

AC Members
Sep 29, 2012
Yeah, my rams didn't eat flakes at first but after a while they warmed up to them. Now they will even join the tetras at the middle/top of the tank in order to get a few bites. I have some Tetra-brand tropical crisps they seem to like, and I found some Aqueon-brand miniature cichlid pellets that they can get into their mouths. They liked the Hikari brand I got but they would have to carry them around in their mouths for a while before they were small enough to swallow. And yes, they absolutely love the shrimp pellets.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
I bought some sinking small sized Omega cichlid pellets. The larger ram is putting a whole shrimp pellet in his mouth, chewing and spitting it out. I thought I should get something smaller. It was either that or breaking up the shrimp pellets. They seem to be coloring up as the days go by. Thanks for the help!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
My rams dont care for flakes either, they like the grainule sized NLS pellets, and mostly frozen and live food.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
They love bloodworms. That was the fastest I saw them move. lol I usually only feed my fish at night, once a day, but maybe I should feed them more often. I don't want my little babies to starve.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store