Cichlids for small tanks?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
A 20 gallon would be good for a small colony of shellies . African butterfly cichlid would be another option but their coloration is subdued.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
10 IMO is a bit small for rams but it can be done. have good structure /cover. they do love driftwood and plants.
I prefer 20 long for my Rams, I keep Bolivian as well as 2 of the color morphs of the Ramirezi(often referred to as the Blue) I have both Blue and Gold rams.
the Ramirezi is the smaller of the 2 ram species..tho I have a blue in with my discus that is actually quite large.(sorry my picture taking skills leave much to be desired)
their attitude can vary a bit but many of my rams will swim up to the glass when they think it's feeding time.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I do have a betta sorority that ramshorn snails are taking over ... If I could put a german blue in there that would be fine ... or anything that would eat the dang ramshorn

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
loach is too big for the tank. try the ram and you can capture the ramshorn with bait(think lettuce leaf ) then pull the leaf ;)

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
well I also keep mystery snails and I want to keep some of the ramshorn so the lettuce leaf would be more trouble than its worth

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
Yes plus they are living with shrimp, snails, and julii cories ... way too much for a 10 gallon.

I could always add the ram to the 20 and if it gets to be a problem move him to a spare 10 gallon

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
I've got to say it..sounds like time to shop for the best deal you can find on a nice used 55. Put a nice trio of rams in there with a few extra shrimp and see if shrimp can take hold, in amongst good coverage java moss, driftwood, rocks for rams.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store