Cichlids in a 35 gal. hex... good or bad idea?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
I love hatchet fish. I have about 10 silvers and marbles in my 65g flat back hex with angel fish, lemon tetras, bleeding hearts and some peppered cories. They're very pretty and quite a unique shape as well. However, they WILL make the flying leap of death if given the chance. The first time I had them years ago, I read about them jumping, and thought oh, it's only a tiny part of my tank that's uncovered(about 3x5cm) and came home one day to 3 very dried out fish on my counter. And in the tank I have now, there is a glass rim around the inside, so even thought the top is completely and entirely covered, I still managed to have one suicide on that...

I have a friend who has african butterfly fish, they're a pretty neat top dweller too, a little more substantial than the hatchets... They would probably be ok with the rams, but will eat little fish and are aggressive towards other top dwellers from what I've heard. He has them in a tank with a tiger and odessa barbs a bgkf, giant dainos, some cory cats and a common plec and everyone gets along just swell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store