cichlids in a 55 gl?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sharrah27

AC Members
Sep 19, 2005
ft.worth,Texas
I have a 55 gl with one 10 in pleco.I'm thinking of trying to return him since I found out he needs a bigger tank. I was also thinking of maybe adding cichlids. Any suggestions that wouldnt outgrow my tank? I would prefer something colorful. thanks for suggestions!

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
Try to get a rubber pleco. They stay smaller, are great algea eaters, and can withstand the high ph/gh of a rift lake tank if that's what you decide.

55g + cichlid + colorful = mbuna tank.

You'll need to have a ton of rocks (stacked almost to the surface if possible) and do some research to find compatible species. I've been told Yellow Labs, Cobalt Blue Zebras, and Red zebras will work together and give a variety of colors (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Creating conditions suitable for the rift lake cichlids is easy and stable. Current water conditions won't matter much. Bushynose and Bristlenose plecos would also work.

To be honest, I would more look into the Tanganyikan cichlids rather than the malawiis, they stay smaller as a general rule of thumb on all accounts from actual size to their territory.

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
Yeah, I lean towards the Tangs too, but sometimes they're a hard sell since they they don't have the colors that Malawis do. The real advantage of tangs IMO is being able to have so many different niches in a single tank. The fish all look different and display different survival strategies right in front of you. Closest you can come to haveing a slice of Africa in your living room.

If anyone reading this post has not seen the National Geographic video "Lake Tanganyika: Jewel of the Rift" Its part of the "World's Last Great Places" series. Watch it, and you will be setting up a Tang tank five minutes later

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store