cichlid's in a pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
hey soul2008 buddy the sky is the limit aye, if you got the funds go for it never hurts to try aye, but this will be a definite project with daily check ups first time a power outage or something burns out disaster buddy if its cold out i would have a plan for getting all fish out in a matter of a few minutes as a back up plan

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
that filter should work but IMO i like vegative filters in ponds my pond iris acts as a huge filter in the warmer months my goldies go into hybernation and my tropical fish come in so i have no need to run a vegative filter during the cold months and i havent lost a fish yet for 6 years with my current system..

thesoul2008

I'm kind of a big deal
May 12, 2008
Alice Springs
au.youtube.com
might have to put a net on the bottom of the pond so if it gets cold pull the net and wallah all the fish come out :) i think the first winter i will be trying it with guppies etc :) try and get some cheap fish in there see how they go then if they survive go from there i just i just hate the idea of pulling fish in and out and in and out :)

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
yeah i was going to recommend you start with something like a guppy dont use goldfish they are cold water savvy aye, man i have been yanking fish out for years thats the fun part for me to actually see what bred in the pond and to donate or trade in for foods wow a couple of years ago i threw in 5 rosy barbs and when i pulled them out at the end of the year i had tons of babies with super bright colors and parents were a gem of a color as well every body was wanting some super pretty rosy barbs aye the net may work but make it extremely small holed net to hold small cichlids..

thesoul2008

I'm kind of a big deal
May 12, 2008
Alice Springs
au.youtube.com
i would say what i will end up doing is making it a little smaller and just throwing something in there that will survive and bread like mad so i can leave them in there all year round and feed them all to my barramundi im going to have in a BIG POND (i hope) :p

AnDr3w

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
A UV sterilizer will take all algae away.

thesoul2008

I'm kind of a big deal
May 12, 2008
Alice Springs
au.youtube.com
ok so i priced up solar heating for the pond today i can get it all sent here (discounted if i send them photos cause its the first time there product had been used for this) for around $500 for everything minus the pump so basically now i need to hear from people who know about nice pumps i want a pump that will pump out of the pond through the filter up onto the roof for the solar heating and back into the pond

so i need to get advice on a good pond and filter anyone know anything that will work!!!

the heating will keep a 20,000 liter pong at a constant temperature all year round so i can build anything i want up to 20,000 liters so i need a pump and filter that will work for that any ideas would be fantastic

filter with uv would be better :)

nchoe123

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2007
just so you know, when my parents house had solar heat, the temps coming down from the panels was often in the 130-140F range...that's pretty warm...

also, one glaring hole in this plan: how can you see the fish under water? that's a lot of the fun of keeping cichlids; koi, whatever, they're big and brightly colored, plus they don't do much... but 4-6" mbuna? screw the fish's enjoyment, i want to be able to see my fish! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store