cichlids keep getting bloat

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
actually the socolofis are the most agressive in the tank at the moment. I don't see any torn fins in any of the fish in remaining fish.

All these fish are pretty juvie. I have one yellow lab that's close to 3 inches but the rest are in the 1.5"-2.5" range. I guess if i start noticing more bullying then i'll try your new format. Right now they seem to be fine and are eating great. I do wish i had more thought but again it's been really difficult for me to find decent quality demisoni's.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
actually the socolofis are the most agressive in the tank at the moment. I don't see any torn fins in any of the fish in remaining fish.

All these fish are pretty juvie. I have one yellow lab that's close to 3 inches but the rest are in the 1.5"-2.5" range. I guess if i start noticing more bullying then i'll try your new format. Right now they seem to be fine and are eating great. I do wish i had more thought but again it's been really difficult for me to find decent quality demisoni's.
I just cant believe demasoni are that difficult to find. They wernt that difficult to obtain nor diffcult to keep in any quantity.

I found socolofis to be more bossy than yel Lab and demasoni, inch per inch with exceptions here and there of course.

Glad to hear things have settled down a bit. Hope you have at least one spawning pair from remaining 7. Maybe even 6 pairs????:cheers:

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
i couldn't really take a decent vid. I don't get it I lost the yellow lab a few days ago. Then yesterday my i have 3 soclolif's all of them ate and this morning one was on the ground dead. I have only been feeding them nls thera a 1 mm with garlic for the past two weeks 3 days of food 1 day of fast and so on. I lost two more fish in this time. I'm really confused to what i am doing wrong. I still do 50% water changes once every two weeks and the water seems to always test in perfect conditions. I really don't see a ton of signs of bullying to death just one day i see them on the ground next day their dead.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Were you using nls thera+ prior to last 2 week? How are the demasonis?

It is not very uncommon to see what you are experiencing in so called very well maintained tanks and lightly stocked tanks as well. Less spaces given with enough rocks across tanks, less mishaps due to aggressions.

When I left feeding to inexperienced staffs, I tend to experience such mishaps more often. What I also learned is that when fish are exposed to new foods, as saw with my dogs/cats sometimes, fish may also suffer some complications.

Being grazers, it is not just how often one feed or fast, it is how much you feed at a time.

Although difficult at home, I yielded much less frequencies of such similar mishaps when I fed grazers much smaller amt at a time but fed more often (3 times a day for an example).

I cant pinpoint for sure what you may be experiencing but Vids would def assist with assessment of what maybe going on. Set up Camcorder for few hours and leave them alone to see what exactly goes on when no one is around and such vidS may reveal if their aggression has anything to do with this?????

Hope you find some acceptable answers soon.

Last edited:

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
The demasoni's seem fine. Their all eating and seem to be acting normal. I do have a bully socolofi that could have been the reason for the last death. The garlic was a part of the NLS pellet food i got. It's not something that i've been adding to the tank additionally but on the packaging it says with garlic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store