Cichlids with Live plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I do have a tendency to speak in odd dialects of American English, so feel free to question me.

That sentence was intended to oppose a statement made by a previous poster. "In force" means that there are quite a few...and there are, at least when compared to ONE as Cloud-9 put it, but some are just a little too expensive for the tank. It was not meant to oppose your statement in any way and I apologize for using it there.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
As Lake Malawi has extensive Vallisneria beds, so there is one family that you can bet will do fine under hard alkaline condition, as long as the fish selected are not plant eaters. Most swords do well also in such tanks, although not native there, and with the same exemption from plant eaters. Anubias nana does fine in Rift Lake tanks also.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I have java fern, a small crypt of some sort, and Anubias nana in my Tanganyikan tank. The java fern is anchored to the rocks, or tied to small rocks to anchor them. The anubias and crypt are rooted in the substrate. They all look great, and are growing, albeit slowly.
The main problem I have is that the cylindricus love to move the substrate, so I have to choose areas they don't like to dig for planting. Even then, I have to un-bury plants every once in a while. Vallisneria wouldn't like that.
To repeat an earlier post, choose your cichlids, then choose your plants. It's likely you can find something that will work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store