CL 10 Yr old light fixture wont light, need component ID please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Anyone who have built these florescent lighting fixtures know what that little tiny diod looking bulb is for hidden inside the tube holder? I have a 10 year old 12" aquarium Plexiglas black hood with cheesy built in fixture and the electronic box that looks like a transformer at the plug end of the cord. All the power reading are right but that little bulb looks burnt out and a new florescent 12" bulb wont light. Anyone know what it might be?

Another CL suprise, at least I can date that Plexiglas tank now from Cali Aquarium Supply Co. Warranty date 1998 LOL.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
The starter I assumed iss at the plug end since its not a transformer just looks like one and reads 120v-60Hz-.35 amps Radionics, and this black sealed box with wall plug prongs is at the end of the cord and apparently working as I gate reading of 122V, but the only guts in the fixture itself besides the tube holder is a weird glass 1/2 inch poited bulb that is hooked in series with the hot wire and is black burned. Is that just a fuse maybe?

Should I take a picture, I just thought if its a starter gismo then I will just buy a new $9 desk fixture and bulb and install it into the Plexiglas cover and leave it at that, but though maybe someone might know if its just a fuse I can replace.

ecoomer45

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Bell City, MO
The best I can tell from the pic, it's either a switch or a neon bulb. Does the bulb have 2 rods sticking up inside with no connection between?

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
No rods just two connectors, remove the connectors and you have an open circuit. The switch not shown in a manual push button on the side of the cover.

I tried jumping the circuit across the tiny bulb as it looks burned but that didn't help either. The lighting fixture tube connections are reading 122V when the switch is thrown but the bulb doesn't light even though the bulb is good out of a working fixture on another tank.

OK thanks your guess is probubly as good as mine and im guessing its a old style glass ballast resistor that's dead. I will just gut everything out and replace it with a $9 America 12" fixture with tube from WalSmart

Last edited:

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
that is either a cathode used as a starter (if it's really old) or an indicator light. i have a couple fixtures that are really old that have the indicator light and it looks just like that but that's a shape that was and still is used for cathodes for a very long time now.

i see it's black and blown but it looks to have a silver reflective surface on the inside. if that silver goes all the way around it's probably not a bulb and i'd assume has to be your starting component.

.35 amps does not seem to be enough to start a bulb to me either. for that reason i'd assume that cathode is to be used as a capacitor to aid in the initial influx of current providing the excess amperage in a short burst needed to initially light a floro bulb.

i think the safest bet would be to gut it since todays technology is a bit safer than what you have there.

i do want to see it when you're done.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
have you tried to contact the company and ask what that bulb is and used for? i have 1 old plexi tank like that with the same type of light fixture that still works when ever it dies i am going to replace the guts like you said you were going to do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store