Cleaner shrimp pregnant again

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fish guru

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
Okay today I noticed that my clwleaner shrimp was pregnant again. I also noticed that it also molted. The question is that it is doing this dance. It sways back and forth rapidly. Is this because she is pregnant? Last time she didnt do this. Also what triggers a shrimp to get pregnant? The water conditions have not changed. Can they detect the seasons? I have kept her for about six months now and she just started to get pregnant a few weeks ago. Is this going to be a regular basis? Sry for all the questions. I'm just curious.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Is there another one in there to get them fertilized? Mine have egg sacks all the time and of the 2 skunks and 5 peppermints about 4+ have fertilized eggs right now. As for what causes them to carry eggs...for mine it seems to be water being nearby. :lipssealedsmilie:

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
Assuming you have a pair, they will get pregnant all the time seemingly. I had a pair once and it happened one time that both were pregnant at the same time. They are horny little critters that is for sure.

If the eggs are fertile they will be a lime green color.

They will become nothing more than a nutritous meal for your fish once she releases the eggs, survival rate is practically zero, and forget about rearing the fry, from everything I have read at least it is near impossible.

fish guru

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
haha horny little critters. That is a funny way to put it. I don't have a pair so I done think that it will be fertile. But it is a lime green color. Are you sure that that means it is fertile?

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
shrimp are like fish, chickens and ladies.

all produce eggs, even when they're not gonna use them.

and the dance is a peppermint thing. who knows

pebble

AC Members
Aug 14, 2007
i have 2 pregnant shrimps and a spare 10 gallon. so theres a very slim chance that the fry will live even tho its in there by themselves?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store