Cleaning stuff after disease fish pass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
if my math serves me correctly, a quart of bleach would be closer than a cup.
LOL. That's what I get for trying to figure out cups and quarts and gallons so early in the morning.

I was figuring 4 cups per gallon (yes which is wrong)... brain was still asleep.

Thanks for correcting.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I'm not sure about boiling but I use bleach for rocks and equipment as I know the bleach will kill the bad. It has worked for me.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
I would set up the filter on the 55G tank, put any items to be cleaned in the tank, including the QT tank if it fits, and fill it 90% with water. Add 1 cup or 1 or 2 glugs of bleach, let the filter run to circulate the water for a few days...rinse, dechlor, DONE.

8 oz of 6% bleach in 55G will put you near 70 ppm chlorine. Typical shock level in a swimming pool is 20 ppm. That's plenty of bleach to kill anything.

dont bake anything, it's not necessary. bleach and rinse is fine...

Last edited:

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
Can I use te water already in there? I'll have to make sure the silicone is right though so it don't kill somebody.
No, drain and refill.

And what do you mean make sure the silicon is right? Using the small amount of bleach as suggested is not going to ruin or permeate the silicon. Dump the bleach water. Rinse out the tank with clean water. It doesn't need to be 55 gallons worth. Just wash everything in the tank, drain what's in there. Then you're done. fill and dechlorinate. You'll need to soak/rinse the filter media separately in clean water if you don't want to fill the tank all the way up and run it with clean water first (waste of water).

You're overthinking this and making it more complicated than it has to be. There's no one right way to clean everything. Just pick one of the methods listed (except for baking) and do it. It's been shown some bacteria can withstand high degrees of heat and is not as effective as chlorine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store