Closed Loop Pump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Preferred pump for closed loop system (230 gal).

• Total voters

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
The purpose of a closed loop system is to provide water movement. Why not invest in a pump that specializes only in water movement?
For example:confused:

Thanks for the opinion, but given your moniker "Purveyor of Misinformation" it leaves me a little skeptical. LOL :silly:

No problem with flexible tubing in general. I have flexible tubing on the suction and discharge side of the pump.
Great news. I have read several people on other threads speak poorly of the flex tubing. I really wish to use it for the CL. I just think it will make my plumbing the CL much easier given the superstructure I built for a stand. <See tank build thread for pics.>

If you go with an external pump (which I recommend)...
I am going external pumps for both CL and sump. I have no desire for an internal (submerged) pump.

Last edited:

7faces

Noob DIY'er
Mar 22, 2008
St.Louis
I just ordered a sequence reeflow hammerhead for my closed loop system. so if you havent decided by the time mine arrives, id be happy to give ya a detailed review of it at that point...
i have a mag drive 24 for my return, and a mag drive 18 on the way with my AquaC EV400 skimmer, so i hope there are no serious drawbacks to these submersible pumps...
i do know the 24 is pretty quiet thus far.. and easily rebuildable (bought it used and rebuilt it already)

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
For example:confused:

Thanks for the opinion, but given your moniker "Purveyor of Misinformation" it leaves me a little skeptical. LOL :silly:
Sequence Reeflo series would be a good example. They are higher volume, lower velocity pumps. If the ocean were a nice, concentrated, high velocity stream of water, I would recommend a pressure rated pump. Sadly, it isn't, therefore using one for a closed loop is a waste of money and electricity--all that and it is still less than ideal for the inhabitants. None of them will appreciate the concentrated streams created by high pressure. Save a pressure rated pump for sumps that need to run multiple devices or has a significant distance to run. Of course, you don't need to believe me if you don't want to...

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Sequence Reeflo series would be a good example. They are higher volume, lower velocity pumps. If the ocean were a nice, concentrated, high velocity stream of water, I would recommend a pressure rated pump. Sadly, it isn't, therefore using one for a closed loop is a waste of money and electricity--all that and it is still less than ideal for the inhabitants. None of them will appreciate the concentrated streams created by high pressure. Save a pressure rated pump for sumps that need to run multiple devices or has a significant distance to run. Of course, you don't need to believe me if you don't want to...

Thanks - I agree regardless fo your moniker.

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
I just ordered a sequence reeflow hammerhead for my closed loop system. so if you havent decided by the time mine arrives, id be happy to give ya a detailed review of it at that point...
i have a mag drive 24 for my return, and a mag drive 18 on the way with my AquaC EV400 skimmer, so i hope there are no serious drawbacks to these submersible pumps... i do know the 24 is pretty quiet thus far.. and easily rebuildable (bought it used and rebuilt it already)
Sure - send me your thoughts on the Hammerhead.

With regard to exteernal versus internal. My sump is locate din the basement and is already drilled so i have never even really considered a submersible pump. Becuase I was set-up for an external. They work fine in the right circumstnace, of which I ahve had several. In my opinion, my current situation is more appropriate for an external pump.

XR250rdr

AC Members
Jul 2, 2004
OC, Cal
Visit site
If your sump is located a good distance from your tank you may have some significant head loss from friction flow and fitting losses even though you won't have any static head loss due to elevation.

If you want the system to be somewhat optimized then its a bit more complicated than just picking one or the other. If you don't mind spending more money on a pump and electricity then just get a pump you're sure will produce more flow than you need and throttle it down.

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
If you don't mind spending more money on a pump and electricity then just get a pump you're sure will produce more flow than you need and throttle it down.
This is my intention. Thanks for the feedback

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Actually, kcress pointed out not to long ago that throttling a pump down will actually result in less electricity consumption. I, not believing it at first, confirmed it mathematically via some equations and he confirmed it in a demonstration via an image sequence, which involved a pump and a wattmeter.

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Actually, kcress pointed out not to long ago that throttling a pump down will actually result in less electricity consumption. I, not believing it at first, confirmed it mathematically via some equations and he confirmed it in a demonstration via an image sequence, which involved a pump and a wattmeter.
As a clinician, I appreciate evidence! :grinyes:

Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store