Cloudy ( slightly milky ) water problem!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Seasand

Sean
Apr 26, 2008
Millport, Scotland
Using old tank water does not help the cycle. It just adds waste.

The beneficial bacteria live on the surfaces of the tank/filter/media/substrate, not in the water column.

Think about it this way, if the bacteria lived in the water column then there would be a mini-cycle every time you did a water change due to a lot of beneficial being removed. This does not happen.

You might have caused a mini-cycle if you removed any filter media or substrate, this could cause a bacterial bloom.

What kind of test kit are you using(liquid or strip)?

Hope this helps:).
I used the pea gravel from my established tank and the filter medium in my external filter was cleaned in water from previuos set-up.
The test kit I use is API Freshwater Master Test Kit

Seasand

Sean
Apr 26, 2008
Millport, Scotland
BTW, a 8-9Watt UV sterilizer will clear it in 24 hours or less...

I would still perform the prescribed first!

-Aaron
I will do the prescribed and I don`t know much about sterilizers so could you possibly advise one that is not too expensive and can handle 700 ltr per hr.
I`ve seen a few but price range varies quite a lot!!
Cheers!!

tyler79durdan

Director Of Plantasia?
Dec 12, 2009
Michigan
aaronspet.webs.com
Look for crystal lenses, and replacement bulb availability... These are the two most important factors.

The TurboTwist is decent, and price a little high, but great function.

This is a decent looking one
... I might go with if I wanted to get out cheap... remember - cheaper does not equal better.

Seasand

Sean
Apr 26, 2008
Millport, Scotland
Look for crystal lenses, and replacement bulb availability... These are the two most important factors.

The TurboTwist is decent, and price a little high, but great function.

This is a decent looking one
... I might go with if I wanted to get out cheap... remember - cheaper does not equal better.
Thanks for that but I`m trying to get one in the UK as I live on a wee island off the west coast of Scotland. Things in the UK are pretty dear.
I was looking at something like the
TMC V2 Vecton 300 lt Aquarium UV Steriliser.

It`s a bit pricy at about £75 or $145.

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
Using old tank water does not help the cycle. It just adds waste.

The beneficial bacteria live on the surfaces of the tank/filter/media/substrate, not in the water column.

Think about it this way, if the bacteria lived in the water column then there would be a mini-cycle every time you did a water change due to a lot of beneficial being removed. This does not happen.

You might have caused a mini-cycle if you removed any filter media or substrate, this could cause a bacterial bloom.

What kind of test kit are you using(liquid or strip)?

Hope this helps:).

Just a few quick notes here.

Granted, the majority of the nitrogen cycle bacteria will be in substrate, in filter media, and on things in the aquarium. There is absolutely beneficial bacteria in the water column. Not a lot though, and the tank will need a shorter cycle. Regardless of where you get the bacteria for the nitrogen cycle, the tank will need to cycle again on a smaller scale.

Definitely sounds like a bacterial bloom. How much are you feeding the tank mates? and whats your feeding schedule? over feeding will cause a bacterial bloom too.

I do agree with a previous post stating that giving the new set up time to mature in the tank should help the bloom, and watching that you are not over feeding. With how recent the changes were made, I'd give the tank a week to settle in. And before you water change. give us another reading on ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and Temp.

ZomZom

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Davidsonville, MD
How long do you leave your lights on during the day? I suspect you may actually have too much darkness. I have found that if I don't leave my lights on for about 10 hours a day minimum I get diatoms that make the water slightly milky and eventually leads to brown algae.

Seasand

Sean
Apr 26, 2008
Millport, Scotland
How long do you leave your lights on during the day? I suspect you may actually have too much darkness. I have found that if I don't leave my lights on for about 10 hours a day minimum I get diatoms that make the water slightly milky and eventually leads to brown algae.
My lights are on between 9 & 10 hours a day. I have also noticed that I have to clean my glass more frequently.

Seasand

Sean
Apr 26, 2008
Millport, Scotland
I`m feeding the fish 3 times daily with small pinches of flake food, Morning afternoon and about an hour before bed.I also use a PGR 1000 Power Gravel Cleaner and run the tank through a filtration cartridge back into the tank every week just as an extra clean up.

tyler79durdan

Director Of Plantasia?
Dec 12, 2009
Michigan
aaronspet.webs.com
So you dont have a running filter? HOB/canister/wet-dry?

3 times a day is too much!

LFS's only feed three times weekly.

Overfeeding speeds metabolism, and shortens livestock lifespan...

Overfeeding also contributes to bacterial blooms...

tyler79durdan

Director Of Plantasia?
Dec 12, 2009
Michigan
aaronspet.webs.com
I used the pea gravel from my established tank and the filter medium in my external filter was cleaned in water from previuos set-up.
The test kit I use is API Freshwater Master Test Kit
Did you "clean" the media with tap water? Or Tank water?

Sounds like you rinsed with tap/well water and caused the death of your beni-bac.

This slow death inturn fed the bacterial bloom in the column.

Just noticed that you said that! This may be the cause!
Maybe we wont rinse our media in tap water anymore!

-Aaron

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store