Cloudy (whiteish) aquarium water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

markdudley

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
Hello, I just found this site a week or so ago and thought I would post.

I have a cycled 10-gallon planted tank that I changed the water in last night (around 30-40%) along with a heavy gravel vacuuming. I woke up to very cloudy water this morning which looks like a bacterial bloom. I tested this morning and my ammonia and nitrites are 0. Could this be something caused by my gravel vacuuming? I have changed the water 3 or 4 times already without incident. Thanks!

Mark

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
It does sound like a bacterial bloom. This should clear after a few days. In the meantime I would keep an eye on the parameters as it redevelops.Bacteria or mini-cycles. Can be dangerous only if ammonia forms. If it does, change only enough water to keep it at a safe level.

markdudley

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
I appreciate the response. I will test again tonight and see if everything is still on the up and up. I am not a newbie in fish keeping, but I sure feel like one today. :)

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
Yeah, I agree with excuzzzeme. Keep an eye on the parameters but sometimes disturbing the gravel alot can release stuff into the water column and cause a bloom. It should clear up in a couple days. If your readings for ammonia and nitrite do start showing something make sure you start water changes to keep the levels as low as possible. Also, make sure you are using dechlorinator (if your water needs it) when adding new water to the tank so you don't kill off the good bacteria and cause a cycle that way.

markdudley

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks bunny. I was going through my water change last night in my head and I think the de-chlorinated the water entering the tank, but I am not one for details. I think it was the heavy vacuuming that did it. I usually just light vacuum the gravel but I was feeling ambitious last night...and this is what I get.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I wouldn't worry too much as long as your water is testing out ok and the fish seem fine. Usually bacterial blooms clear up "like magic", lol.

markdudley

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks again for all the help. For the sake of posterity I want to say that everything checked out and the cloudiness, by and large, cleared up within 24 hours. We're looking good now.

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
welcome, dang and I actually knew the answer to this issue :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store