Clown Loach and Light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brewsue

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
I recently replace my old halogen bulbs in my fish tank with floresent ones. My clown loach who up until then came out to eat and chase the other fish around refuses to come out of his hiding space. I saw him this morning almost come out but back he went. Has anyone had any problems with clown fish and bright light. Do they just not like it? He is always so much fun to watch, I hate that he won't come out. But the new lights keep the water temperature from rising during the day.

naps

AC Members
Jan 1, 2006
Houston, TX
How many watts are we talking?? I know that loaches don't like it too bright, that's something I will need to work on too with my new tank.
Maybe try to temp him with his favorite food.

thesydmonster

AC Members
Apr 4, 2005
They also do much better in groups of at least 3 (with the proper size tank, of course). It could also just be the change in his environment and he'll get more used to it. I know my zebra loaches get freaky any time I change something in the tank and then settle down again when they get used to it.

born2lovefish

AC Members
Feb 20, 2006
Avon, In (suburb of Indianapolis)
Actually I have noticed that about clown loaches
I have 5 2-3 inch ones and I had a bunch of live plants and driftwood, but I sold all my rainbows and driftwood with plants on it. Now I have a couple plants with some clay flower pots here and there. I put a small flour. light on the one side and I noticed that they like to stay at the dark end. Before when I had the other plants they would go all over the tank in the light. They would even feed out of my hands and swim through my fingers. It was really neat.

brewsue

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
I think that the wattage is 10watts for 2bulbs. It should be less that the halogens they were 15 I think. The light seems like it is brighter though. He hides in one of the ornaments, a barrel with plastic plants on the outside. I forced him out last night to make sure that he eats. It seems like he's not. He is such a great fish. I don't want him to be unhappy.

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
Clown loaches prefer dim tanks.

I have about 320w on my 180, and they come out in the morning and in the evening. I gradually increase the light in the morning as not to frighten them too much.

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
My clown loaches have 4 tanks connected together with waterbridges in which they can swim from tank to tank.

My observations-

The clowns prefer the low-light tanks, which have less than 1 watts per gallon. They only go in the med and high-light tanks when the lights go off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store