Clown loach behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I thought the more the merrier?

I added a small loach ( 1.5 - 1.75 inches) to the tank with 2 other loaches ( 5 inches,4 inches). The 4 inch loach hangs with the small loach but the bigger loach wants nothing to do with him. Even to the point that he won't share the cave with him, stands guard and chases him away. The small loach and midsize loach hang together in a different cave.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
it might just take some time. I added 2 more to a group of 5 in my tank and they are just now starting to hand out together most of the time, 3 weeks later :rolleyes:

geekrockgirl85

aquadork padawan
Dec 2, 2005
loaches (along with most living things) usually form a social hierarchy. there will generally always be one dominant one.

you might have avoided this by getting all of them at once, but it's no guarantee against aggression. they may all coexist in time, but don't be surprised if they don't, either.

Snoozy

AC Members
Mar 2, 2005
I have four and when I added the last two, they adopted the little one and the other is still the odd man out as far as the dominant one is concerned. The other two hang out with him though, so he is not lonely. After about six month's they are finally starting to swim as a group and sleep in a big loachy pile. They will work it out.

Lisa

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Well my biggest loach died this morning. No signs of damage or illness. Been battling higher than normal nitrates ( 1.0 ) but was doing daily 50% pwcs to keep it under control. Finally got back to normal this weekend.

All the other fish are doing great.

Only thing I can think of is that when i added the new baby loach the big one didn't want anything to do with it. He would never come out of hiding in his cave even when feeding. My wife thinks he was broken hearted that he lost his friend because the other loach hung with the baby.

He wasn't thin or starved looking so he was getting food after lights out. Guess its just one of those things that will never be explained.

I'll think about getting a new loach but I'd hate to see this happen again where 2 hook up and 1 is left alone. Maybe I should get 2 more?

joephys

AC Members
Dec 22, 2005
1 Nitrate is higher than normal? Thats nothing. Did you maybe mistype?

I would probably get 2 more. If the new ones don't click with the old one, they will probably click with eachother, and you'll have 2 small groups of loaches instead of one loner. Not sure if this is the case or not, but its how I would approach it.

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
IceH2O said:
Guess its just one of those things that will never be explained.
This is not surprizing.

Clown Loaches + Bichirs = fewer clown loaches. I told you it wasn't a good combination many months ago.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
chefkeith said:
This is not surprizing.

Clown Loaches + Bichirs = fewer clown loaches. I told you it wasn't a good combination many months ago.
The birchirs didn't attack the clown. There were no marks on it whatsoever. If they were going to attack a clown it would be the smallest one as he hangs in the same cave and plant area as they do along with the 4 inch one. Why would they try to eat a clown thats almost the same size as them and not the almost bite sized morsel?

And Joe I did mean NitrItes not Nitrates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store