Clown Loach Red Gills

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
I can see myself rehoming the chinese algae eater. I could also see myself putting the tigerbarbs and clown loaches in a separate tank. A friend of mine just offered to give me her 10 gallon. Would that be sufficient for 6 tigers and 2 clowns?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
No, a 10g is too small for the loaches. I could see putting the 6 tiger barbs in there for a short while, a couple months maybe. It might help the overcrowding/nipping until you can decide the big picture.

EmilyMarie85

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
Boise, ID
Real Name
Emily
I can't speak to the tigers, but the 2 clowns in a 10g is a no. MAYBE for a month or 2, if it were only the CL's -- but anything longer than that is a :nono:...

Clowns can get up to 12"+. Granted it takes a very long time for them to reach that size (upwards of 20 years) - BUT clowns will spurt growth to about 3"-4". At that size a 55g would be the absolute lowest size - a 75g being preferable.

In a 10g tank for a long period of time, the loaches would become stunted, which is not at all good for their health.... they are also very susceptible to ich - and require excellent water conditions.

Some other things to consider, loaches are from rivers and appreciate a current and low lighting. They also thrive in groups of 5+, being a social fish -- for more information on optimal care for CL's, send me a PM and I will send you a link to a great site w/ tons of information on them!

Sorry I know that probably isn't the answer you wanted but...

Em

nosuperstitions

Knowledge Collector
Aug 19, 2010
Central Illinois
www.thechillidawgs.com
Real Name
Joe Rexshell
I'm probably just being a pain in your butt, however I will take another stab at this.

I went back to the aqadvisor site and started by added 2 Clown Loaches and then incrementally increased the tank size until it stopped giving me this warning "Warning: Clown Loach is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 12 inches."

The smallest tank you should keep a clown loach in is 75 gallon.

The most you should keep in a 75 gallon tank would be 4.

It is recommended to keep at least 5 clown loaches together because they are schooling fish.

To keep 5 Clown Loaches you need at least 120 gallon long tank.

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
So I had to choose between

24Gallon Nano Cube - no stand ($100)
or

35Gallon Hex w/stand,hood,light,filter ($200)

I decided on the 35Gallon because it comes with a stand which will fit perfectly between out two computer desks and from what you guys/gals are always saying bigger is better. I pick it up tomorrow.

I made a trip to petco to take a look at scenery/substrate and sand is $10/10lb. I live in Hawaii which is unfortunately an island but fortunately surrounded by beaches and rocks. Can I just go to the beach and get sand and rocks and stuff and save upwords $100?

nosuperstitions

Knowledge Collector
Aug 19, 2010
Central Illinois
www.thechillidawgs.com
Real Name
Joe Rexshell
How are the fish doing?

How is the Clown Loach with the red gills?

Are you doing the water changes?

Did you get a master test kit?

They are only $18 from walmart online.

Did you talk to your LFS about trading in the loaches, shark, or barbs?

I'm starting to feel like my posts must be invisible on this thread.

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
The fish are doing better. I went to LFS and asked about master test kit and they asked me "do you have freshwater or saltwater" and when i said freshwater their response was "OH YOU DONT NEED TO TEST THAT" Basically, they said if your fish look sick in a freshwater, it's one of two things with one of two solutions. (Ich,which you can see, or unbalanced water) Either way, do water changes, do more water changes...and you're good. I don't want to get rid of any of the fish except the chinese algae eater. I am going to be reorganizing all of them to make their lives easier. I'd appreciate if you could recommend how I spread them out.

EmilyMarie85

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
Boise, ID
Real Name
Emily
IMO, I wouldn't recommend putting the clowns in the 35g Hex. They like to "sprint" from one side of the tank to the other - the 35g hex doesn't have much of a foot print to allow for that... I would keep them in the 45g (but eventually they are going to require a larger tank)...

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
See my post INCOMING! new tank ... please

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store