Clown loache questions!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
Tazman, you might get more help if you posted your own thread in the general freshwater forum.
I don't know the answer to your question

ducatigirl

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Bunbury, Western Australia
hi there i have a 120 liter tank (4ft) and i have some neons and cardinal tetras and a couple of lemon tetra 3 algae shrimp 3 BN plecos a farowella twig catfish and 3 otosinclus and i was wondering if i would put some tiger barbs in without them killing the neons and the shrimp and also wat would be the best snail eater to add in other than the assasin snail that will not harm the shrimp

Barbs can be quite aggressive...
I had 6, they bullied each other, bit off the tails of my guppies. Exchanged them for more peaceful fish. Pretty sure they would chomp the neons.

gtu2004

AC Members
Feb 15, 2010
New York
i have many snails in the tank so I'm thinking abt getting some clown loaches too. however, i also have red cherry shrimps. can they be kept together? Will appreciate any input...

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
i have many snails in the tank so I'm thinking abt getting some clown loaches too. however, i also have red cherry shrimps. can they be kept together? Will appreciate any input...
This thread is apparently very prone to getting hijacked :)

gtu2004, you will probably get more answers if you post your own thread in the loaches forum. I'll say, though, it's usually a bad idea to get clown loaches just for the sake of snail control. They are a big commitment. They grow to be very large and can live over 20 years. They have a social structure which requires you buy them in groups, usually 6 is the recommended minimum. A 75 gallon tank is the recommended minimum for young clowns, and they really need at least a 180 for long-term care (note, the original poster in this thread has a 240 gallon tank).

You can read up on clowns here: http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus

There may be some smaller species of loaches that also eat snails. I'm not sure. If you post a new thread in the loaches forum, you can probably get an answer. Or, if you post in the invertebrates forum, you can probably get more tips on snail control.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Heh. One of the few records of clown loach spawnings said they ate some danios the previous day, IIRC.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
I just got 6 gold zebra loaches the other day

The most wild active fish I have ever seen in my life...dear god these things are INSANELY fast and ALWAYS moving

They grow to be about 6 inches and lives for 6-7 years...about half the size of a clown loach and they do eat snails for sure...they destroyed every snail that is in that tank

These fish move so much that the clown loaches actually school with them now...as opposed to just hiding when I would come in the room

if you want something insanely fun to look at I suggest these guys...Same personality as the clowns...but just WAY MORE ACTIVE

But again...I'm biased so lol

On your original question they will be fine with your current stocking

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store