clown loaches and barbs together?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ave

AC Members
Jan 29, 2007
The compatiblity charts say they match. And I'm planning to take a group of 10 barbs into my new 125 g first. And then after a while add a group of 6 clown loaches. But I'm concerned maybe the barbs will be too hard on their new companions? Especially when the clowns will be rather small (ca 5 cm) in the beginning?
Do you know, are the tiger barbs good dither fish for clown loaches? Or may be some other fish would do better?
Thanks,
A.

Aquaken

AC Members
Aug 31, 2004
Tiger barbs are excellent tankmates for clown loaches. Some say that the clowns are less shy when Tbarbs are around since their "pattern" is out there swimming around.

Ave

AC Members
Jan 29, 2007
thanks, so happy to read this!!
I've been choosing fish for a month or so already... Only keep reading about them, unable to decide!
Now I can go to store!!!

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
first of all, a 125 gallon is much to small for a group of six clown loaches. for a group of six, a 200 gallon is the minimum.

second, tiger barbs will harass other fish if they are not in a big enough school, and i dont mean a little school of 6. if you want to keep other fish with tiger barbs, 18 tiger barbs in the school is a minimum to keep them chasing each other and not your fish. 24 is a much better number.

as for compatability with clown loaches: clown loaches are pretty peacful but tiger barbs are not. they will probably be around the same size when you bring them home, and the tiger barbs will harass them unless they are in bigger groups, but even then they will be occupying the same tank space. if you want tiger barbs with other fish, you should get fast moving fish to go with them like zebra or pearl danios.

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
first of all, a 125 gallon is much to small for a group of six clown loaches. for a group of six, a 200 gallon is the minimum.

second, tiger barbs will harass other fish if they are not in a big enough school, and i dont mean a little school of 6. if you want to keep other fish with tiger barbs, 18 tiger barbs in the school is a minimum to keep them chasing each other and not your fish. 24 is a much better number.

as for compatability with clown loaches: clown loaches are pretty peacful but tiger barbs are not. they will probably be around the same size when you bring them home, and the tiger barbs will harass them unless they are in bigger groups, but even then they will be occupying the same tank space. if you want tiger barbs with other fish, you should get fast moving fish to go with them like zebra or pearl danios.

:rolleyes:

Ave, sometimes you have to try things out for yourself. Tiger barbs are known to be nasty if not in a decent sized school. What I've read is 8min, but, that's something you have to try and see how many it takes for your tiger barbs to not be aggressive.

What's the footprint on a 125? Should be big enough for a looong time, but you may need to upgrade later. Keep in mind, captive clowns rarely meet their adult size of 12"... my guess is because we can't effectively replicate the fast flowing streams they come from, so captive clowns get fat rather than slender.

HTH somewhat

is300zx

AC Members
Jan 1, 2006
IMO A 125 gallon tank is already pretty big for small juvenile loaches. They would probably get lost in there actually. Can you keep them in there for life? Probably not. But it should be good for at least a few years. Clown loaches growth rate is very slow compared to most fish. The ones that I've read about reaching the 1 foot mark usually are already in their teens. If you can't upgrade to a bigger tank you can always sell them. Large ones can fetch a hefty price.

As for dithers for the clowns I've heard tiger barbs do well with the clowns although I've never tried it myself. I've never heard of tiger barbs hurting clowns either and have read that they sometimes would school with the tiger barbs because of their similarities in markings. A good dither I've tried with the clown loaches are silver dollars. I highly recommend them unless you plan on keeping live plants in the tank. Also you might want to look at rainbowfishes as tankmates. They're very colorful and very lively.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Rainbows with the barbs is an excellent combination togather. The addition of some clown loaches with this group will look stunning.

Marinemom

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
What's the footprint on a 125? Should be big enough for a looong time, but you may need to upgrade later. Keep in mind, captive clowns rarely meet their adult size of 12"... my guess is because we can't effectively replicate the fast flowing streams they come from, so captive clowns get fat rather than slender.

HTH somewhat
Keep in mind that the adult size of a clown loach 18+" in the wild; the average adult size in an aquarium is 12".

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Rainbows/barbs/clowns...great combo. ANother vote for the clowns being slow growers. You won't need an 8' tank for about 4-6 years.

Shagmaster

LOACH CRAZY
Oct 31, 2006
Los Angeles
Keep in mind that the adult size of a clown loach 18+" in the wild; the average adult size in an aquarium is 12".
After about 10 years, yes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store