clown loaches and barbs together?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

THEJRC

Third String Messiah?
Given the swimming patterns of the two (and the fact that I've seen them coexist) I'd go for it. Maybe cut the numbers down by 2 or so on each to avoid overpopulating the tank as they grow. I know loaches prefer the bottom and barbs if I remember right were more middle swimmers so they shouldnt have too much of a turf war. and I've seen them in tanks together with good success by one's and two's.

I say go for it

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice barb shots!

tictak_07

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
London UK
hi
glad you went ahead with your choice.:grinyes:
i have got clown loaches and barbs,
and they are great together,
even to the extent that the loaches swim
with the barbs some times.
that group is less intimidating than my
YoYo loaches.:headshake2:

Millsn

AC Members
Nov 26, 2020
Could anyone tell me where tiger barbs sleep? Ie mid water or bottom? My tank has no plants and large stones but my clown loach all own those spaces. Do barbs need much cover?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
At this time I have my clowns in a planted 150 gal. There are 12. The largest 4 are in the 10-11 inch range TL and the smallest is about 3.5 in. Two of them have been with me for 18 years and another about 16.

They live with a large shoal of full size redline barbs ( Sahyadria denisonii). I estimate there are about 18 of them at 5-6 inches.

The clowns are my favorite fish and will be the last ones to go. I am downsizing over the next few years and expect to be retired from the hobby by the end of 2024 or sooner. I may or may not be able to move the clown to a 220 before then. But I doubt that will happen.

The do fine in the 150. They are all bunch of pigs. When I feed flake, the big guys are feeding from the surface right away. They are all a bunch of clowns when it comes to their behavior.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store