Clown Loaches in a 75?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stevezx2002

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Hartford City, IN
Do to some recent deathes in my 75 gallon community tank I am thinking about switching directions a little. I am planning to transfer my 2 Blue Acaras and an Angel over from my cichlid tank and would like some bottom feeders. I was looking around at my LFS the other day and noticed the tank with 6 really active ~2" clown loaches that were schooling tightly. I am aware that they get huge, but they are also slow growers. The tank will be filtered by a FX5.
Do you think this stocking could work?

1 Angel 4"
2 Blue Acaras 3.5-4"
1 BN Pleco (only 1.5" right now)
1 Gold Spot Pleco 2.5"
6 Clown Loaches 2-2.5"

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
For a short time we kept angels with clown loaches. Though not aggressive the loaches nocturnal activity scared the sleeping angels. Lots of splashing & lid hitting, we moved the loaches.

A 75g would be ok for 2 inch clowns for several years

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
As long as you have a long term plan for them since eventually they will need a lot more space it could work for a while. Clowns like a lot more water flow than angels though so that could be an issue.

Posted on mobile.aquariacentral.com

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
They are naturally nocturnal or at least crepuscular, they like dim lighting & shadows to swim through. But with enough hiding places & some "dither" fish they can be active during the "day" especially if that's when they're fed. Mine are next to my computer & often rest in the open, it's all about them getting used to the routine & feeling secure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store