Clownfish needs help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Andrew225

A little bit of everything
Jun 26, 2007
Colorado
So, 12 gallon nano, 18 poudns Live rock. One nano power head, heater i nthe back, circulation is good.
Xenia, Mushrooms, Zoanthids, Acropora..Nothing special o nthe coral side.

So, heres my problem. my tank (had) a few snails, hermit crabs, a n emerld crab, a pistol shrimp, one neon pygmy goby (Thats what teh LFS siad..no info on them. Small little guy), a hector's goby, and 'Tricia', my Percula Clown. I left on Saturday to my bros, fed well berefore I left. Came back today (Monday) and saw the hectors goby, saw the clown..Yet, the new red-neon goby was nowhere to be seen >A quick test revealed amonia at 2 PPM! I assumed the guy died, didnt think much, figured the amonia would shoot down soon enough. However, a quick scan of my clownfish showed her at the surface, as though she was about to sleep rather than up and swimming (The lights had been on for two hours already)

So, i preform a 15-20%$ water change, make sure curent is good, and feed with some frozen Copepods. The clown eats them, it'
s a good sign..

Throughout the day Ive been checking on her. She tends to stay at the top, not gasping for breath at the surface, but she ventures down into the lower areas of the tank only rarely. She played in teh Zenia for a few minutes, and last I saw was practically laying over on my mushrooms.

Is there anything I can do to help her!\

Thanks,
(Hysterical) Andrew

Andrew225

Jun 26, 2007
Colorado
P.S.:
Added Note. Everything else seems fine ,corals and all. Polyps extended, snails moving .The Hectors goby seems unfazed.
"Clownfish also has some problem i nthe right eye. Looks like a clear protrusion extending from it, as though she hit it against something and now it's swelling.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Bigger and more water changes would be the quickest way to get the bad levels back down. You said you did 15-20%, try doing 50% today as well (thats only 6G in your tank).

Andrew225

Jun 26, 2007
Colorado
Update: Did a 50% change today. Measured Amonia with two seperate tests. one read zero, one read .25. Should be alright there.
Clownfish, however, is laying in the rocks, breathing heavily..Might be too late.
"

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
it's not too late if you act immediately.

Mix up a batch of water at least 5 gallons, test it, heat and circulate and relocate the clown. Give it some hiding spots. maybe make salinity a little lower than usual, about 1.023 and acclimate the clown.

Andrew225

Jun 26, 2007
Colorado
Done all of the above. Preforming another 5 gallon water change today. She's swimming on her side (Lights are still off) But i've heard of many clowns doing it, and she has been known to do that from time to time. Other fish still unaffected, so I'm hoping we may be able to get this to work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store