Clownfish problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ander88

Newbie Mariner :)
Apr 29, 2009
Dumfries, Scotland
Visit site
Hey everyone, long time since I've been here!

Ok so heres the situation. I have a small 60ltr nano setup FOWLR at the moment but will become a reef eventually. This has 2 common clowns, one small (juvenille) and one larger (year old)

In my other tank, 125ltr reef, there are also two clowns. One small juvenille and one larger (year old)

Originally I had the two older ones together in the reef, but the female started to bully the other quite alot and became very territorial even after removing them both and rescaping the tank. So in my wisdom, when I setup my nano, I went and purchased the two juvanilles.

I took the clown that was being bullied from the 125 and put into the 60 with a new juvenille and they are all ok.

I left the bully and put the other juvenille into the 125 to give a good size difference between the two to allow the dominant to stay that way.

So the two in the 60 ltr are all ok and doing well.

The 125 not so good. The juvenille spends most of the time in the top corner of the tank around a powerhead and only really comes out once in a while and too eat, as the dominant always chases it back to the corner. As soon as the dominant sees the juv, its chase chase chase. As far as I can see there is no nipping just hassle.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

thanks again,

Michael

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
Ahhh. Happens all the time. As long as the one in the corner is healthy, eating well, and not beat up, I would let it be for now. The female is just trying to show the new guy who the head girl around is. How long has this been happening? Do they sleep near each other at night?

ander88

Apr 29, 2009
Dumfries, Scotland
Visit site
The little guy is healthy, not beaten up and eating well. Occaisonally comes out for a swim about quite happily until chased back in. This has been happening for 2 months now. The larger one was bullying hte previous guy for months too and he was becoming stressed hence the swap around.

They sleep at opposite ends of the tank. The previous guy slept close to her at night on the odd occasion but this little guy wont go near. He sometimes tries to swim around with her and on the odd time she lets him but then bam, chasing again.

jayrob

AC Members
Jan 28, 2010
newcastle nsw
i have a similar problem, my female occellaris has nipped my males fins so much there frayed but they swim together, sleep together but hes too beaten up to leave there, currently in hospital tank. only had them about 6 weeks. he was eating fine too. doesn't sound as bullied as yours does though.

ander88

Apr 29, 2009
Dumfries, Scotland
Visit site
Its starting to worry me. My little guy isnt beaten up tho just being chased so not at the nipping. They just dont like each other haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store