Clownfish Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

amf82380

AC Members
Nov 27, 2005
Upstate Ny
pg.photos.yahoo.com
had the same thing happen I had bought 2 percula clowns and a yellow tang and put them in my tank and the smaller of the 2 clowns died with in like 3 days then the second clown started doing the same thing "swiming near the top movin iradticly with his mouth open" did that for about 4 days then come to find out that the yellow tang had ich and the clown ended up with it. so I removed the clown and the tang and put them in a hospital tank and have been treating them for about 4 days now and he has come around alot he is more active and his mouth isnt hanging open any more.so I would keep and eye on all the fish in your tank and see if any are showing any signs of ick or any other stress related diease.

CoralFixation

AC Members
Jan 13, 2006
Red Creek, NY
Thank you all for the advice.

Blinky: I'll get to the store today and try the water conditioner. While I'm there, I will look for a better test kit.

amf82380: Unfortunately, I don't have a hospital tank. I have a 30 gallon FW, but thats it. I think I should probably invest in one. Any suggestions on what to get for a hospital tank? Size? Suggestions for medications to have on hand? Filter type?

Thanks again.

Chris

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
Two things: you said you put 15gallons of freshwater in and then added salt. Was this to your tank with the fish in it? You should never mix the saltwater in the system. The other thing is that hospital tanks need to be established or else they would go through a cycle with your fish in it, so the fish would probably get worse. You only need a 20gallon or so tank with no substrate and get some PVC pipes for the fish to hide in. To set it up you should have some sort of filtration on it, I use a sponge filter, but you need to have the sponge sitting in your display tank for a few months before bacteria will establish in it. If you set up a new tank and even if you put the water from your display in it could still cycle. If you use a powerfilter (emporor, aqaclear) the biowheel should be taken out. HTH

CoralFixation

AC Members
Jan 13, 2006
Red Creek, NY
Thanks for the tips on the hospital tank. I think it would certainly be worthwhile for me to get one started....

I pre-mixed my salt (instant ocean) in some fairly hot water. It seemed to dissolve very well. I let it sit until it came down to about 80F (my tank heater is set at 78), siphoned water out, and then siphoned the new water back in. I figured rather than just pouring it in, and shaking up everything (like I do in my FW tank), I'd siphon it back in. It worked pretty good I guess.

As for the clownfish, his mouth is still open all the time, but he is swimming better and not so close to the surface, and I really haven't seen him on his side today at all. I'm hoping things are improving.....

I looked for white spots on all the fish (on my FW tank, I've had ich, so I assume the symptoms are the same). Didn't see a thing. I also check salinity and ammonia again today. Salinity was 1.023, and ammonia was less than .025 (as low as I can measure).

I'm going to do another 15% water change tomorrow as Blinky suggested. I wouldn't think doing it everyday would be helpful, would it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store