Clownfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

michaeljr10wv

AC Members
Aug 12, 2008
West Virginia
He's doing good. Can't belive how much he can eat! He doens't like the green flakes that good! He eats the red ones like there isn't anymore!

tonites stats

temp 78
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
ph 8.0
nitrate 40

Mike

michaeljr10wv

AC Members
Aug 12, 2008
West Virginia
Would it be OK to add about 4 blue leg hermits, a couple snails, and a couple shrimp to the five gallon? Would it put a BIG load on my filter? THe stats for the tank are:

temp 78
nitrite 0
PH 8.0
nitrate 20

I do a water change about once a week. Nitrates have been since the last water change. I want somethingto help keep the tank clean while I have the clownfish in there. The 20 is cycling and hopefully will be ready in another week or so...So they shouldnt be in there for long. But if that is to many PLEASE let me know what I should or shouldn't get.

Also would a live rock make my stats go crazy?

THANKS,

MIKE

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Just keep the clownfish in there. I wouldn't add anything else--it defeats the idea of quarantine, really. Not to mention it isn't really necessary.

michaeljr10wv

AC Members
Aug 12, 2008
West Virginia
Yeah, I'm glad too. Like I said he was kept by a girl and taken back to the shop. He has the whole tank to himself. I did add some snails and hermits to help with the cleaning.

Mike

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
I did a water change yesterday....and let me tell you!!!!
All of my fish hide like there is no tomorrow except one...can you guess?
The clown!!!!
I was in the tank siphoning and he would not leave my hand! When I was in the area where he hangs out, he was actually getting territorial! He was slamming himself into me trying to scare me away! The first couple of times it worked! It was too funny! Had to share.

michaeljr10wv

AC Members
Aug 12, 2008
West Virginia
I don't know if can afford to feed the clown and hermits :) I've been feeding a little more and it doesn't lie on the bottom for 15 minutes and it's all gone. I had green algae at the top and the five snails have already got it all ate.

I'm going to try a small starfish next week..the LFS has some small red ones. I can sit and watch the clown forever when I turn the light off in the room. The hermits never stop and climb on everything!

Mike

michaeljr10wv

AC Members
Aug 12, 2008
West Virginia
I came home and tested my 5 gallon and nitrites and ammonia are back! Nitrite is reading 0.25 and ammonia 0.3 nitrates 40ppm! I did a 1 gallon water change today!

The tank has been sitting there for over 2 months now. Is the above stats OK for the clownfish? He/She ate tonite as normal. The temp is at 78 and the ph 8.0

Could the addition of the hermits and snails done this? They have been in there for 2 days now. Should have listened and not added them!

Mike

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
check again in the morning. You may have had a mini cycle. If so it should clear up in a day. Also with the hermits and snails you will want to get your nitrates lower. 40 would be ok for a FO tank, however the hermits and snails wont like it much. Try to get them under 20 and you should be ok. Also remember that the smaller the tank the harder to keep water params good!!! In a couple of moore weeks you will have your other tank up and running. If The ammonia and nitrites aren't lower in the morning, I would do another w/c maybe 2.5 gallons! You dont want those to go above.25 ever with livestock. So the ammonia at .3 is a little concerning. Don't buy anything else until your other tank is ready to go.

michaeljr10wv

AC Members
Aug 12, 2008
West Virginia
Got ya! I didn't think they would throw the params off much! I do water changes every 2-3 days! I never let nitrates get over 40ppm!

Thanks for the info. If not better in the morn I'll do 2.5 gallon change!

Mike

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store