Clowns flashing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
:help: Has anybody noticed their Clown loaches reacting to liquid plant ferts? I'm actually not even sure that's the cause but it seems like everytime I do a water change and add the Flourish, they will sometimes flash on this big centrepiece in the tank. I've actually treated the tank with API General Cure on several occasions and everything seemed fine and then 3 or 4 days later and it starts all over again. There's no visible signs of disease or parasites and believe me i've been checking. Water parameters are fine and the tank is well established for over 4 years. Tank mates are 7 albino cories, 2 rubberlip plecos and a 2" rainbow shark. The tank is 60g plus. I would be grateful for any advice...Thanks :confused:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't use Flourish but fish flash from irritation. You could see if only a half dose still bothers them then add the rest later. How large a WC are you doing?

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
I usually do 15% to 25% about every 4 or 5 days. Always use a dechlorinator and try to match the temp. of the tank water, so as not to shock them and they always come out and party when I'm done, LOL! I'm actually going to try not adding it for a week or two, to see if they still do the same thing. You'd think if it was a parasite/sickness, there would be other visible signs but they look perfectly normal, eat fine and they're all over the tank, playfully, chasing each other. I just don't get it but I'm still afraid I might miss something, and I'll end up losing them. :(

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You might look to your water too especially this time of year. There can be "micro bubbles" in cold or well water that take a while to break up. Do you gravel vac with plants? You may stir up fine but irritating particulates, after 4 years there's usually a lot of "stuff" even with heavy vacuuming.

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
You know, that's something I never thought of, especially this year the winter has been unusually cold and TONS of snow. I'm going to Petsmart(YUCK, the only lfs for miles around) today, as soon as Brian gets home from hockey and I'm going to get some new test liquids, just to make sure all my bases are covered, in case my old ones aren't up to snuff. They are a few years old. Thanks for the suggestion fishorama! :)

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
Well, I bought some API Root Tabs because I thought it might just be the liquid Flourish that was getting them agitated and so far so good...no flashing whatsoever but I'm going to keep my fingers crossed anyway, LOL! Picked up some new testing stuff and still the water parameters are fine, so I hope this will put a stop to the flashing. Only time, will tell. :)

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Good luck with the root tabs. It doesn't surprise me that the loaches are sensitive to the Flourish, they don't have scales which withstand irritating chemicals better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store