Co2 regulator question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

prez2306

AC Members
Jun 25, 2010
Geez, I 'm not sure & I'm scared for my fish. I was given a full 10lb tank & what I hope is a usable set up, a regulator (out of calibration. no big deal, so I've heard...), solenoid, bubble counter, diffuser. I love to try it out but all my tanks have fish in them & I'm not sure how to safely test my system. I hope to learn...without killing any fish...
it is my understanding that if you add it to a tank with fish in it (which i will also be doing), that you have to bring the amount up slowly. i'm not sure what a good rule of thumb would be in regards to an initial bubble count, but close monitoring of your aquarium while bringing the count up would be absolute necessity. there's probably a thread or article somewhere around here pertaining to that info.

or, you could do what i do if you're not sure whether the regulator will work correctly or not...just buy a new tank to test it out:).

prez2306

AC Members
Jun 25, 2010
Cool, with a 5# bottle no reason imo to go aluminum it wont be hard to move around and should last you a good long time. Again if a local place has a rental exchange deal it might be most convenient.

I know you original question was about the other equipment, but the CO2 supply is something you will need to deal with time and time again. It sounds like you have done some good research and you probably seen lots of different opinions. Less expensive regulators dont tend to last too long, but get you up and going. After my first one died I went for a more expensive one from aquariumplants.com, not saying its the best but it has worked very well for me. Even the cheaper one allowed me to grow plant like crazy. I would recommend a good diffuser so your Co2 supply will be used efficiently and have your solenoid on the timer with your lights. When you get it started up keep a close eye on the ph for the first day or so because it might rise above the comfort level of your fish. If the ph climbs too high try some crushed coral in your filter media. I like using the crushed coral much better than the ph down chemicals, its cheaper and easier imo.

Lastly, dont be afraid. Start with very low levels of Co2 and creep it up slowly. If you have ever tried to grow plants with out it, you are going to be extremely surprised!!
honestly, pretty much any type of information regarding co2 is welcome at this point, so thank you. looking at comparable prices of 5 lb co2 bottles, i'm starting to wonder if the original quote i got from the welding supply location was the cost of a refill, not the cost of the bottle filled itself. gonna do some shopping around now to see what i can find.

the diffuser is something i've been looking at a lot as well. some of them seem gimmicky, but some have caught my eye. i'm also running an AC powerhead in the aquarium, so i have the option of running it through the impeller. it just seems to me like a good diffuser would do a better job of distributing co2.

i've dabbled with planted tanks, with some success. but, that success pales in comparison to a quick google search of "planted aquarium." this is why i'm finally taking the plunge.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store