CO2 Tank only reading 600psi after being filled

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

djdestructo

AC Members
Sep 7, 2009
co2.jpg

After getting my tank filled today (for the first time) I hooked everything up and upon opening the valve I noticed that the tank pressure is only reading around 600-650psi.

Is this something to worry about or is it just the gas that's giving the reading?

The regulator is a brand new Milwaukee Ma957 Co2 Regulator.

If there is anything I can do please let me know.

co2.jpg

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
My experience is with larger tanks, and Nitrogen (at work), but I would have expected 3000+ PSI on a newly filled tank. I dont have a high pressure gauge on my beer CO2 tank, so I cant help there...need to get one, eh?

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
After a bit of research, I see that CO2 should be under 1000 PSI for a filled tank...perhpas you are not as far off as you thought.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Typically, at home, after the tank has reached room temperature, it should read 800 - 900 psi.
The air temperature can affect the pressure in the tank. That is why it is not any part of a good idea to leave a filled tank in a closed car on a sunny day.

bigwater

AC Members
Feb 6, 2005
Hook it up and enjoy!! It wont last as long thats all. Nothing you need to do.

Its possible you got a bad fill or your gauge is off. The tanks typically have an empty weight on them, so you could weight the bottle to see how many pounds of gas is in the can.

If you have fish in the tank start with a small amount of co2 and work your way up. Your ph will change considerably.

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
Is the tank cold? Was there frost still all over the tank after the refill? Did you let the tank reach 70 to 80 degrees F? This is all relative. A cold tank will show lower pressure. When left to get to a tank temp around 70 to 80 your pressure should be somewhere around 800 to 900 PSI. If much colder then that it will be below 800.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store