CO2 tank suddenly empty

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Not possible, if I were crazy I would be blissfully unaware of it and even deny it. Ever try to prove to a crazy person they are crazy? Doesn't work so well. :)
Trying to prove your sanity to yourself will most likely make you crazy anyway. so good luck ;)

And I really would suspect that you're not actually getting all the gas you're expecting, so weighing the tank empty and then full should give you a rough idea if that's the case. Also make a note of how many bubbles per minute or per second you're adding to your aquarium, could be that you're just using the gas more quickly than most.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Just got the tank filled. The tank weighed 15.8 lbs before and 26.2 after filling so I am not getting shorted there. I run 1.5 bps, even if I ran it at a higher rate do you think I could go through a 10lb tank on a 72 g tank in less than 5 weeks without seeing some adverse results to fish breathing or I'd at least have ridiculous plant/algae growth (which is NOT the case at all but that's a whole other issue)?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It seems everything's normal so far.

And the effects of a larger amount of CO2 being added would all depend on how efficiently it's being dissolved in your water.

I'll suggest that the next diagnostic step to be that your mom isn't using it to dispense beer while you're not home.

Ranger

AC Members
Jun 20, 2001
Everett, WA
What type of washer are you using between the tank and the regulator? IMHO the ridged fiber type that generally come with the tanks are not that great at sealing the connection. They are for welding and such and the tank is usually turned closed when not in use, so no one notices the slight leaks they have. I went to a local brewery shop in my area and got some of the semi-rigid plastic type. They deform when you tighten down the regulator nut and provide a really good seal that seams to work better when the bottle is left open continuously.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I use the flat kinda cardboard looking ones, my supply guy said they are better then the rigid plastic ones.

When installing the tank I noticed moisture in the line that comes directly out of the regulator so I checked everything out and it seems that the back pressure when turning off was drawing water from the bubble counter into the needle valve, ugh. Used to have a check valve there but forgot to add it back in when I put the new bubble counter in. So I am assuming that if the needle valve got water in it that it might clog enough to make a leak spring up somewhere (like the hose connection right before it) and that is where all my gas went?

I installed the new tank and did a really through leak check and everything is good.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Well where ever the CO2 went I definitely need a new needle valve because it won't hold a bubble count for nothing! It is really bad, it fluctuates as I am adjusting it and then stops complete after a little while. Sucks, because I just bought this upgraded one with the proper fittings special order. I blew it out with the air compressor but is there anything else I can do?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store