Co2 Technical problem..AGAIN. This is torture...Need some help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Okay I'm out for about 7-8 hours. No sleep, I just had to keep up with this co2 stuff, unfortunately it seems like I can't go on now, need the rest...

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Best way to check for leaks is put some soapy water in a spray bottle and then spray it all over the manifold and valves and such then look for bubbles.

I don't really care for pipe dope. I prefer to use teflon tape. It's cleaner and does the same thing. You can get the yellow kind used for natural gas connections if you don't feel that the white is adequate.

I don't think the yellow dope hardens, but just dries a bit. It doesn't require a time to set that I know of.

What was the actual problem with the two that weren't working?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Use the white teflon tape- works fine, been using it for years on my system.

For leak checking I prefer to use a small paint brush and a small bowl of water and dish detergent. I paint the solution on/around every single connection to check for leaks. It works great and I dont have to worry about a soap solution getting sprayed into tanks or filters by accident.

I use the teflon tape on every single threaded connection in the sytem- even the threaded end of the needle valve. I replace the tape on the bottle connection every refill and have extra nylon washers for the reg to bottle connection as well.

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
Forget hardware stores or even places that refill tanks.Aquariun co2 is not common except for with aquarium hobbyist.Just dealing with Rex is your best bet.

Welding supply store are a good local alternative for parts and repair. They likely won't touch Milwaukee/JBJ regulators, but they'll probably be willing to have a look at Rex/Greenleaf regs. Alternatively, they'll have the appropriate gauges for replacement. Just take the reg in and tell them you need to replace your low pressure gauge. They'll sell you the right thing and possible just throw it on there for you.

CO2 is CO2....sure, we use solenoids and bubble counters, but the principles of the regulator are all the same.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
I heard somewhere that the brass fittings they use are not meant to be used with any teflon tape or pipe dope. I run my CO2 systems with only the paper washer that they give you with the tank and have never had any problems. Just my 2 cents.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Welding supply store are a good local alternative for parts and repair. They likely won't touch Milwaukee/JBJ regulators, but they'll probably be willing to have a look at Rex/Greenleaf regs. Alternatively, they'll have the appropriate gauges for replacement. Just take the reg in and tell them you need to replace your low pressure gauge. They'll sell you the right thing and possible just throw it on there for you.

CO2 is CO2....sure, we use solenoids and bubble counters, but the principles of the regulator are all the same.
The problem was not the low pressure gauge.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
The problem was not the low pressure gauge.
JM was just clarifying the point to another user that our equipment can be fixed at a Welding supplier, since we technically get our gear from welders in the first place.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store