coconuts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

odessa

AC Members
Feb 12, 2002
Salt Lake, Utah
Hi, I want to use coconut halves to cover with java moss or ricca and i was wondering if there is anything special I have to do to them, such as boiling or something. I've seen threads about using them before but I can't find any now, or remember what they said.
thanks

a_free_bird73

AC Members
Jun 13, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Nothing special, make sure there is no soft meat in them. You may want to soak them in water until you get no colour change.

Be aware that they may change your water chemistry. They will act in ways similar to using Peat.

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Not a lot you need to do to them. I bought a whole one at Wal-mart - sawed it in half, emptied the coconut milk and scooped ot the fleshy meat and cut a small hole for an entranceway.

I can't recall if I boiled mine or not - I may have as I was boiling a lot of things - but not sure its absolutely necessary - just rinse them - or soak them. IME - there were very little tannins from the shells.

i tied some Java Moss on them and was ready to go.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Was that influenced by Dale's telepathic mind-control abilities? I wonder if it's a scale model of his hut...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store