cold water fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
i'm not here to argue. i've gotten nothing but help on this forum and appreciate it all. maybe i misunderstood her remarks in ()'s. i thought it sounded a little sarcastic. i apologize if i was wrong.

vmprlrd

AC Members
May 8, 2008
i would only keep one gold fish in a 30 gallon tank. You will soon find out that one gold fish fills out the tank really well and that could be your center piece. You can then add a large school of danios. that will probably be the best way to go since gold fish are heavy polluters.

Cliff Mayes

wirehair
Feb 19, 2007
Western, NY
A lot of Goldfish breeds get way bigger than 6 inches. Goldfish are omnivores and once the Danios slow down when it is resting time the much larger Goldfish will try to eat them. This is quite normal behavior for any Fish so do not hold it against the Goldfish.

I learned a long time ago that regardless of the temptation do not mix anything in with Goldfish. Most folk dramatically underestimate the volume of water required to keep Goldfish; they get very large and live a long time. As with any large Fish different aquarium habits apply.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
I agree with what's been said above. I will add this: if you get a large enough tank for a goldie and a school of smaller fish, then a good choice for your schooling fish would be rosy red minnows. They are a coolwater species and get considerably larger than white clouds or zebra danios, so should be less vulnerable to the goldfish's appetite. You could also collect some wild shiners or killifish in your area (check local regulations first, of course). There are some very cool natives in New England.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store