College bound student who wants a clownfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
The down side of damsels is that will become very territorial...there territory will be your WHOLE tank...They are monsters in a samll body..When you come to add more fish, the damsels will certainly harrass, stress and bite at new inhabitants....

My suggestion to anybody who has used damsels to cycle their tank is to get rid...Its any wonder that you always see an abundance of damsels at the lfs..half the time, the shop closest to me ends up sending some to other shops because people just bring them back when they realise what they "can" be like...

Niko

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Damsels can and usually do become wey agressive as they get bigger. They have been known to attack almost any type of fish you can think of that would not instantly eat them. I cycled my pred tank with them ony because I know that once my lion and picasso trigger get bigger they will be lunch and I won't have to worry about them.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
An expensive lunch but considering their dual purpose I'd say money well spent.

Germanman

My fish are my babies
if you do keep them you cant really have more than 2 fish in a 10 gallon tank and damsles get large as well about 3-6 inches depending on the species.
good luck though!
im pushing 18 units and 3 of the classes are bio courses and i can still run my 55 reef and 20 gallon predator tank just fine:)

Sevenstar

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
if you do keep them you cant really have more than 2 fish in a 10 gallon tank and damsles get large as well about 3-6 inches depending on the species.
good luck though!
im pushing 18 units and 3 of the classes are bio courses and i can still run my 55 reef and 20 gallon predator tank just fine:)
Same here. I am a full time college student majoring in Microbiology (want to change to MolecularBio) Time really isn't an issue for me. Its just mostly cash. That really isn't a problem if you plan ahead properly. However the placement issue sounds like the major problem here.

Uncarved Block

Formerly known as "Uncarved Block"
Sep 17, 2006
Washington
There's nothing wrong with damsel's; some people don't like them because some species can be aggressive. However I've seen very fancy setups that feature tons of different damsels because the owner has an affinity for them.

BBN

Braves on the Warpath
Apr 3, 2003
Marion, Illinois
Visit site
I would imagine multiple 3 hour trips per year would be stressful on any fish. Not to mention, think about how foul the aquarium would be at your dorm after a month of Winter break. A 10 gallon left alone for a month is going to experience some signifigant evaporation. Enough so that conditions in there won't be tolerable for just about any fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store