Color-changing Guppies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

birdboy5

AC Members
Apr 25, 2010
West Jordan, Utah
The guppies are everywhere, they are just overlooked and no one pays attention to something that they are feeding their pets with. I wish someone who works at San Diego zoo would see these posts and check what they are feeding to the reptiles over there. There were only three that I knew were color changers, but who knows how many more were there.
I'm trying to breed some more, but its really hard. One guppy I have seems to color change, but there isn't enough color on its tail and it doesn't change that often, so it probably isn't one.
And its cool that you guys had some color changers. Those weren't as dramatic as mine, sometimes his whole design would change. There were four main designs he would have, plain, one color, orange with a pink stripe through the center of his tail, and even one color bordered by black, and orange or yellow with a black and pink(or blue) spot. He was a pure guppy, or the trait is, since I bought his mother from a guy who had a guppies and mollies and platies and who knows what else in a single pond. I know it is a guppy trait because it only shows up in guppies, specifically feeders. Imagine a fancy guppy that would change color and design multiple times a day! That is my ultimate goal. Find another color changer and breed it with a fancy, and see if I can't make the trait carry.

birdboy5

AC Members
Apr 25, 2010
West Jordan, Utah
Need Name for Color-changing Guppies

The guppy was completely naturally born from regular guppies. This post is for the purpose to find more color-changing guppies. All I want is for people to find them and breed them so they become an established chain.
Also, I need a name to give them. I wanted to call them rainbow guppies, but the name was already taken. Maybe "Spectrum Guppies"? Start posting any ideas, please.

birdboy5

AC Members
Apr 25, 2010
West Jordan, Utah
I do have pics, but they are really terrible. I used the guppy for a science project to try and breed it, but I failed. If only camera technology was better back then. I'll try and find them and post them,but I'm not making any promises.

DFD264

Registered Member
May 13, 2018
The guppies are everywhere, they are just overlooked and no one pays attention.
I'm trying to breed some more, but its really hard. One guppy I have seems to color change, but there isn't enough color on its tail and it doesn't change that often, so it probably isn't one.
And its cool that you guys had some color changers. Those weren't as dramatic as mine, sometimes his whole design would change. There were four main designs he would have, plain, one color, orange with a pink stripe through the center of his tail, and even one color bordered by black, and orange or yellow with a black and pink(or blue) spot. He was a pure guppy, or the trait is, since I bought his mother from a guy who had a guppies and mollies and platies and who knows what else in a single pond. I know it is a guppy trait because it only shows up in guppies, specifically feeders. Imagine a fancy guppy that would change color and design multiple times a day! That is my ultimate goal. Find another color changer and breed it with a fancy, and see if I can't make the trait carry.
Hey so I know this is a super old thread, but I just got a blue green Moscow guppy male, and this morning, turned on the tank light and the dude was solid black! thought it was one of my fry so I watched him for a bit and before my eyes his body shifted to silver then back to his blue green nature. his tail is still on the black side which I hope changes back as well cause his blue green tail was beautiful but talk about a drastic shift and right before my eyes too!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store