Common Goldfish Harrassing Black Moor

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

InR reason

InR reason
May 28, 2006
www.myspace.com
actually, I would say commons should be given at least 55Gs for one with 20 gallons for each additonal one, and fancies should have 30Gs to start with 10 gallons for each additonal one.
I'm talking about the bare minimum. You can have 75g for the first and then 30g for each additional fish if you like. I'm giving the bare minimum to healthily sustain these fish.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Definitely agreed, reason. This is the minimum. I think fishcatch, your estimate may be the happiest choice for the goldfish, certainly, but if you're on a budget right now you could go with something a bit smaller, say a 40 gallon, and be alright in the short term.

I have apple snails (Pomacea bridgesii and Pomacea Canaliculata) with my goldfish, and they get along very well. Snails, you say, gross and boring. Not so! I am totally in love with my snails. They're interesting, and they have such personality! They jump off the side of the tanks and surf in the bubble wand, they interact with each other, they clean the tank... Mine are all about the size of a golf ball and the goldfish don't bother them at all. Check out applesnail.net. Bridgesii species are usually sold as your standard "mystery snail" in most stores. I have six in a 60 gallon. The maximum stocking recommended is about 3 gallons per snail, but fewer snails will be fine.

daniellehaagen

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
arg! anything larger then a 30gal tank with a single goldfish is going to look ridiculous until it gets to be 8"+ and probably, even then. any suggestions for tank mates? could i get some snails, crayfish, etc? any small fish that could escape the goldfish?

arg! ive tried ebay, CL, and all the local stores. Can't seem to find anything 40gal+ that is under $100. grrr.
I have two fancies in a 55 gallon and I think it looks great. Just knowing that they have enough room to grow properly and swim freely, puts a smile on face everytime I look at them. I know where you are coming from though, it would be hard to have just one fish in a tank that you spend so much money on. Hopefully you can find a big tank for a great price. Good luck!

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
I have 3 fancys in a 55g. When I first put them in there everyone kept asking me if I was going to get more fish. Once they are full grown it wont look strange.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
you could easily keep some coldwater inverts with them, crayfish come to mind. I think amano and ghost shrimp can live in CW too, and most mystery snails can tolerate water in the mid 60s. if you can find them, japanese trapdoor snails, which are CW snails, would be perfect. but I seriously wouldn't add any more fish.

also, the common pleco is not a true CW fish, and may not be as happy in an unheated tank, plus i've seen common
plecos over 2 feet long. I think it would be wise to get rid of the common pleco.

there's an old saying here at AC, "If your tank looks bare, it's just right."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store