Community Bristlenose Breeding Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
I am sorry AAF but after reading some posts you have done about what fish to put with what i am sorry but I cannot take your advise. I am not new when it comes to fish. i have been doing this for quite sometime. Just looking into breeding now though. Don't take it as disrespect or anything, I have just read one of your threads where you changed your make-up 100times. Cories and bn plecos will work great together, the plecos arent on the gravel too often. they chill on the walls or the driftwood and they will chill in the caves i make on the back wall when i figure something out to make them with. the tank will be understocked with the make-up i have above, this is because i will raise the bn plecos to about 3/4 of an inch before i sell them.
i dont see how changing your stock has anything to do with this. what are the dimensions of the tank? trust me i currently have 2 green bristlenose plecos, and while they do go on the walls sometimes its not all the time. most of the time they are on the bottom. i just dont think its right to put 10 bottom dwellers together when the male pleco will get aggressive garding eggs and where can the cories go??

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
for the schooling fish i think i will do either Harlequins or Rummies. maybe like 8-10 of both? any word on this?

4 bn plecos.-(one male rest females so i can breed them)
6 corydoras-(not sure on type yet, possible pandas)
3 pearl gouramis- (trio) 1 male 2 females
15 of harlequin Rasboras or Rummy Nose Tetras

or

8-10 of each schooling fish
Dixienut has a valid point about the male BNs tending the eggs/fry. Maybe try starting out with 2 females, and if that goes well enough, add a third? Or if you have enough caves, you may have enough room to do 2 males and 3 females, and you can see if adding a fourth or fifth female would look like a good idea.

Peppered cories! :D

I'd stay away from the harlies in your particular tank. My lambchop rasboras (labeled as trigonostigma hengelii at the LFS, but I think they have enough copper to actually be espei) love to run the full length of my 55, a 75 corner probably has less straight line room for them to run. My rummies will sometimes chase the lambchops, but are usually more sedate, so will probably be a better fit. Another option may be some of the smaller schoolers, like neon yellow and chili rasboras. They tend to stay smaller, so the shorter straight line distance will be less of an issue for them.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Cories and pleco can go together in same tank, just not YOUR tank. Your tank has a VERY small floor plan compared to a 55 or 75 gal long tank and with already 4 plecos your pushing it if you want to breed. if you added anything else bottom dwelling they will be on top of eachother and cories just keep moving so they will cover the bottom of your tank very quickly and very often disturbing the plecos. I have plecos and mine are always on the bottom underneath something but the corries are always round them, but I have alot more floor space and am not breeding. Breeding tanks are generally for just that... breeding it is not easy and generally doesnt work well to try to breed on a scale large enough with the intentions to sell when done in a community tank. I am no pleco breeding expert but other fish especially bottom dwelers will certainly **** them off being on top of them all the time and if fish arnt happy and healthy they wont breed, thats just a general rule for animals. You may have experience with fish, but your asking about breeding a certain type of fish, which people here do have experience with, I would probably listen.

Dburgess1231

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
NORTHERN OHIO
i dont see how changing your stock has anything to do with this. what are the dimensions of the tank? trust me i currently have 2 green bristlenose plecos, and while they do go on the walls sometimes its not all the time. most of the time they are on the bottom. i just dont think its right to put 10 bottom dwellers together when the male pleco will get aggressive garding eggs and where can the cories go??
if you read the post i am building caves on the back wall that will house the plecos for probably 60% of the time and the other 40% will be while feeding. And changing your stock/not knowing what to put with what has alot to do with this. I am not new when it comes to fish, I have been doing this for 10 years now and worked in a fish dept of a pet store for 2 years. cories and bn work very well togther and they will not bother eachother, especially with the pleco caves.

Last edited by a moderator:

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Cories and pleco can go together in same tank, just not YOUR tank. Your tank has a VERY small floor plan compared to a 55 or 75 gal long tank and with already 4 plecos your pushing it if you want to breed. if you added anything else bottom dwelling they will be on top of eachother and cories just keep moving so they will cover the bottom of your tank very quickly and very often disturbing the plecos. I have plecos and mine are always on the bottom underneath something but the corries are always round them, but I have alot more floor space and am not breeding. Breeding tanks are generally for just that... breeding it is not easy and generally doesnt work well to try to breed on a scale large enough with the intentions to sell when done in a community tank. I am no pleco breeding expert but other fish especially bottom dwelers will certainly **** them off being on top of them all the time and if fish arnt happy and healthy they wont breed, thats just a general rule for animals. You may have experience with fish, but your asking about breeding a certain type of fish, which people here do have experience with, I would probably listen.
THANK YOU
if you read the post i am building caves on the back wall that will house the plecos for probably 60% of the time and the other 40% will be while feeding. And changing your stock/not knowing what to put with what has alot to do with this. I tried to be nice about it but i have a feeling you are too full of yourself to get the hint. I am not new when it comes to fish, I have been doing this for 10 years now and worked in a fish dept of a pet store for 2 years. cories and bn work very well togther and they will not bother eachother, especially with the pleco caves.
putting in more caves is making even less floor space. i know what fish will go together. and i know 6 corys and4 bristlnose plecos will not work with the floor space in your tank no matter what you do.

Dburgess1231

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
NORTHERN OHIO
THANK YOU

putting in more caves is making even less floor space. i know what fish will go together. and i know 6 corys and4 bristlnose plecos will not work with the floor space in your tank no matter what you do. i think you are to full of yourself to admitt your wrong.

The caves will not be touching the floor whatsoever. please please read. my floor plan is around 400sq in which is not too much less than a 55 gal long.

Dburgess1231

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
NORTHERN OHIO
aqua i do respect what you are saying and agree that i should listen to people who breed these. AAF obviously does not breed these though.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
if you dont want to take my advice fine let someone else deal with you. i have a 55 gallon and that little space looks like nothing. corys are very active and wont do good with even a pair of bristlenose plecos with them.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
lol GL and HF! maybe it will work? probably it will not. obvi your tank, your fish, your money, your time. people here are just trying to share common experience and knowledge. I assume if it works youll come gloat in a few months and if it doesnt well never hear from you again...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store