Companion Fish???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scott

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
IMO if you were choosing between the red devil and the texas I would go with the texas as you could actually put in say a raphael cat and a couple of dithers where as a mature devil would anihilate everything, or so I have heard. But if you want only one fish in a tank I think the red devil is a nicely colored fish, but once again I would say order a midas or citronellum or labiatus from rapps so you know you have a pure bred, if thats what you want.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
<G> Glad to hear that I'm on target, Jayhawk!

I really, really like the Red Devils, but I think that I couldn't get away with them in my house, especially after the conversation that my parents and I had about how they came to earn such a name...and the research that they did. I'll see if I can convince them--Scott, those I would definitely buy from Jeff, because I do like knowing what I am getting, and that seems to be one of the few ways to know for sure!

scott

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
Personally though I would go for a breeding pair of nics with some rainbow dithers and a small catfish or a galaxy or clown pleco. that would be a nice 75 and really not take up any more room that the fifty five. I would really go with a 75 though, it was posted somewhere else but I think its a great saying, a 55 is a large tank for small fish and a 75 is a small tank for big fish. Go with the 75 you of all people know what a difference that width will make. I hit my head everyday when I look at my 55 and wonder why I didn't kick down the extra money for the 75.

scott

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
If you do want a highly agressive single tank specimen go with the festae female, great colors and i can say my male has a pretty good personality.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Well, since I have the 20 high at my disposal, I'm going with Archocentrus spilurum if I can find them at an LFS...think that's possible?

Also, any info on keeping A. spilurum happy would make me happy as well...so let me know!

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Treat them just like convicts. They get to the same size, are highly adaptable with water (although higher pH and hard are their preference - don't stress on water numbers, though).

I've never seen them locally in Kansas City, but other folks have better LFSs than I do. If you can't find them, convicts would still work well.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Gotcha...I've posted a request for the Jades in the Wanted Ads, so if you know someone who wouldn't mind shipping some young'uns to Illinois, let them know!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Let's confirm this: a single con in a 20g high will be happy and will be a companion fish for me?

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
let me know if you find any man. i think i have found a great home for my large oscar. a lfs owner says that his friend has a 150 with a few oscars and other large fish. he wanted to breed the oscars, and mine might help to his sucess. but nothing is definate yet

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store